TNT: Rizzoli & Isles

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

From TvGuide Online "Cheers & Jeers" So which did this show get?

Jeers to Rizzoli & Isles for criminally neglecting its high-caliber supporting cast.

Per its title, the hit TNT crime drama follows the cutesy exploits of Beantown galpals Det. Jane Rizzoli (Angie Harmon) and medical examiner Maura Isles (Sasha Alexander). The wildly overqualified and underutilized ensemble includes Emmy nominee Lorraine Bracco (The Sopranos) and Oscar nominee Chazz Palminteri (Bullets Over Broadway) as Rizzoli's stereotypically squabbling mom and dad and Bruce McGill — a scene swiper since his days as D-Day in Animal House — as Rizzoli's predictably grizzled partner.

This week's episode, in which R&I reopens the Boston Strangler case, also squanders the talents of Donnie Wahlberg — the Boomtown vet who'll also be back on the beat in CBS' fall cop drama Blue Bloods — as Rizzoli's hard-headed new boss and Tony winner Brian Dennehy as a retired detective called back in to consult on the cold case. Too bad even these gifted thespians can't flesh out characters who have all the depth of chalk outlines.

My Take: Huh, well WTH do they know? :shifty:

2. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Yeah, I saw that. The worst thing is that it was submitted after the second episode. Yes, because the episodes that are still trying to establish the main characters are totally going to give the side characters focus. Get a life, people.

My initial reaction was similar to yours, Destiny: "Yeah, well... shut up." :lol:

By the way, I'm watching the first episode now, and I have to say that, if my assumption is true and this episode is based on the first book of the series, I'm already very pleased with this show, because I've always said that Women's Murder Club would've done better if they'd gone closer to the books, and made the pilot based on the first book.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I think the show does have a very nice supporting cast. I particularly like Bruce McGill. I keep thinking of him as Catherine's CSI mentor back in "felonius monk". I think as they get through a few more episodes, they'll incorporate the nice supporting cast much more.

My only complaint - why are they focused on serial killers for the first two episodes?

I also saw a review somewhere where the reviewer was confused that at sometimes it seems that R&I are long-time best friends, and then sometimes it seems that they have just met. I kind of noticed that in the premiere episode too.

4. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Well, the first ep seems to be based on the first book, which is where that serial killer idea came from. The second ep... was to establish the setting? With Boston? Is reaching?

I didn't really notice the incongruities with their relationship. There are more moments where we know that they're established friends. Maybe the "just met" air is coming from when you know someone for a very long time yet still don't know everything about them?

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This has become my favorite summer tv show. Sometimes I like to just enjoy a show without working hard to analyze it, and I'm enjoying it so far. I can be more patient with the writing if I like the characters. I think the leads play off each other well, and add some humor to the show. They're both likable and a little neurotic, but in different ways. I had to laugh at Isle's baseball uniform(?). And Harmon does sarcasm well.
    I saw that tvguide jeer, too, and most comments give the writer a jeer for the same reasons posted here. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Here are the ratings for anyone interested:
    Rizzoli and Isles Shines Brighter Than The Closer; Retention From Series Premiere: 96%
    quote:
    In it’s second week TNT’s new series Rizzoli & Isles built on the lead-in from The Closer averaging 7.27 million versus The Closer’s 6.97 million. Rizzoli & Isles also came out on top with adults 18-49 where it averaged a 1.5 rating (1.976 million) to The Closer’s 1.3 rating (1.656 million).

Rizolli & Isles led with adults 25-54, too (2.71 million vs. 2.27 million).

Both were down from last week’s season/series premieres when The Closer averaged 7.66 million and Rizzoli & Isles averaged 7.553 million, but both are sure to be near the top of the weekly rankings for cable viewing again.
    LINK: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010...second-episode/57733

Hopefully, it will stay strong. 7 million for a cable show is fantastic.

6. Anna P

Anna P Witness

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/2...ice-brickyard-400-top-week’s-viewership/58279
    It IS staying strong, with 7.3 Million:

7. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Source: People.com

Sasha Alexander Expecting Second Child

No mystery to solve here — there’s a baby on the way for Rizzoli & Isles star Sasha Alexander.

The actress and her husband, writer/director Edoardo Ponti, are expecting their second child, her rep tells PEOPLE exclusively.

“The whole family is incredibly excited” for the new addition, who will join big sister Lucia Sofia, 4.

Alexander, 37, and Ponti — who is the son of screen legend Sophia Loren — wed in Aug. 2007 in Switzerland.

She currently stars opposite Angie Harmon on the new TNT series based upon Tess Gerritsen’s popular novels.

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Congratulations to Sasha and her hubby!

R&I continues to do well in the ratings:

07.19.10, 7.27 million
    07.26.10, 6.55
    08.02.10, 6.61
    08.09.10, 7.42

It's unusual for a show to increase after the premiere episode, so Kudos!

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i am in LOVE with Rizzoli and Isles. i had to download the first few episodes since i was away and right from the first episode i was hooked. Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander are wonderful as the main characters. Angie Harmon is fabulous as the tough chick cop, she's not a push over and she doesn't take shit from anyone. Sasha Alexander will always and forever be Kate Todd to me but i love her as Isles she's such a good actress and she looks gorgeous in all the clothes she wears.

i have to admit i wanted to see this show for Sasha Alexander. Kate Todd is one of my all time favorite TV characters (third in line after Sydney Bristow and Sara Sidle) and i was devestated when she was killed of NCIS that i actually stopped watching the show for a while, i still can't watch the ep where Kate gets killed. it's cool to see how much she's changed from Kate to Isles. she looks fantastic as Isles and is so good at being the smart person and i like how she's kinda like Bones but not as naive.

i really like how this show is a bit moody and dark. so far the show has delt with some dark issues but i like that it gives it a bit of an edge over some other shows. the characters aren't all happy or all moody all the time. Rizzoli's parents are hilairous they remind me of my own family especially her mother, she reminds me of my grandma who is always asking me if i've been fed lol.

i was so happy to see Lee Thompson Young on the show. i had a massive crush on him when he was on Flashforward and was sad to see him go. now i can see him every week :) i like how his character is squimish with dead bodies it lightens things up.

Rizzoli and Isles is so good. i get so excited for mondays so i can see a new episode. it's an exciting show with great characters. i was so glad to hear that the show was renewed for next summer.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I have to say, I really wanted to HATE this show. :eek: When I first saw the ads my thought was it's going to be just like CSI, only with two women instead of a whole team.

BOY, was I wrong. I love the dynamic between Angie's strong and oh so hot, cop and Sasha's more subtle coroner. They play off each other very well, give the show a great female vibe considering all the females getting axed on CBS.
    I agree with everyone else, sometimes it looks like they are long time friends and sometimes it seems they just met.
    And as of Monday nights episode, they could be 'more than friends' but that's me. ;)

I also like how it does seem to balance both woman's personal life with their jobs.

Jane's mother cracks me up. I guess it's not surprising to see her show up at Jane's desk or to try to sell the 'miracle juice' to the rest of the cops. :lol: Lorrane Brocco is great in her role as Jane's mother.

The only episode I haven't really liked was the one when Maura knew the victim. She seemed a bit 'out of it' and cold. But that's me.

I have to say, I really enjoy this show. I also wish it could be on network to give some other shows a run for their money, but it's probably stronger on TNT.

11. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

12. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

13. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

15. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Rizzoli & Isles
    "YOU'RE GONNA MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE" [Season 4 Finale]
    9pm ET/8pm CT, TNT

A senator's daughter is murdered, leading to an investigation that could put national security at risk. Elsewhere, Tommy falls back into old habits, stirring up tension with Frankie; and Jane reveals stunning news. The Season 4 finale.
    http://www.tntdrama.com/series/rizzoli-and-isles/