Durham County

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Creepy good show. For those who don't know what its about let me give you the run down..

Durham County is a Canadian television drama one hour series stars Hugh Dillon as Mike Sweeney, a homicide detective from Toronto who moves his family to suburban Durham County to start over after his partner is killed and his wife Audrey is diagnosed with breast cancer. However, he soon discovers that his neighbour and childhood nemesis Ray Prager is a suspected serial Killer, while dealing with his eldest daughter's ambition to be a cop like her father tends to get herself into trouble now and then, when she decides to investigate or ask questions about a murder.

Cast:
    Hugh Dillon as Mike Sweeney
    Justin Louis as Ray Prager
    Hélène Joy as Audrey Sweeney
    Laurence Leboeuf as Sadie Sweeney
    Cicely Austin as Maddie Sweeney
    Sonya Salomaa as Traci Prager
    Greyston Holt as Ray Prager Jr
    Kathleen Munroe as Nathalie Lacroix
    Patrick Labbé as Tom Bykovski
    Joel Keller as Jake Sharpe
    Claudia Fern as Roxy Calvert
    Jean-Nicolas Verreault as Big Guy
    Romano Orzari as Ray Prager (Season 2)
    Michelle Forbes as Dr. Pen Verrity

Airings:
    The series premiered on The Movie Network and Movie Central in May 2007.
    The first season subsequently aired on Global in the 2007-08 television season.
    Showcase has begun airing season one again in Canada. The first episode aired March 20, 2009. Sequential episodes are scheduled for Fridays at 2:00PM and 8:00PM ET/PT.
    The show's second season entered production in fall 2008, and was scheduled to air on TMN and Movie Central on July 13, 2009.
    The series began airing on ION Television (reaches over 94 million U.S. television households) in the US on September 7, 2009.

For those who have never seen it before, you can catch trailers and previews on YouTube

*Posters note: Hugh Dillon did not leave Flashpoint he is doing both this series and Flashpoint as well as continuing to write and record music.*

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Destiny

Okay Dr Pen V. is creepy, I thought Ray was wierd creepy, this one is a female version but with a little extra creepy attached. Michelle Forbes does a great job.

3. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

I am so glad that they are showing this show on US TV. I was going to sell out and buy the Canadian DVD on Amazon but was too cheap! :lol: I can't wait to see what happens next!

4. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I need to check this out sometime, but I refuse to watch ION because the picture and video quality is TERRIBLE.

5. Destiny

Hmm really it's fine on my tv, though I have directv so I don't know it may differ if you have something else. The language is sometimes a little much for me but otherwise the show is pretty cool. Not to mention a total opposite of Hugh's protrayal on Flashpoint, talk about total opposites.

6. Destiny

From the futon critic I apologies if I didn't get the spoilers tagged but I think the story below (us basically what is being repeated now until Jan. If I am wrong please do not hesitate to pm me and let me know. :)

MYSTERY, BETRAYAL AND TERRIFYING SECRETS ARE UNLEASHED WHEN ION TELEVISION'S DURHAM COUNTY LAUNCHES ITS SECOND SEASON IN JANUARY 2010.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The lesson that "love hurts" is well learned by the characters who inhabit the eerie suburb of Durham County when the original scripted primetime series launches its second season on ION Television in January, 2010. The series, which debuted this fall, returns to the bleak and disturbing landscape of an alienated suburbia with a new star villain Michelle Forbes, known for her intense portrayals on the hit HBO series "True Blood" and "In Treatment" this year.

Produced by Muse Entertainment and Back Alley Films, Durham County unfolds season two in the aftermath of the devastating impact of serial killer Ray Prager (Romano Orzari) on the lives of its characters, anchored by Homicide Detective Mike Sweeney (Hugh Dillon, CBS' "Flashpoint"), his now estranged wife Audrey (Hlne Joy) and their traumatized teenage daughter Sadie (Laurence Leboeuf). While the true villain of the first season turned out to be Sweeney's former high school classmate and new neighbor, the evil threat in the second season comes from a woman who develops a close bond with Mike, the brilliant, but deeply troubled forensic psychiatrist Pen Verrity (Michelle Forbes). Rejected by her husband and grieving for a daughter we can't be certain she didn't kill, she sets her sights on having Mike Sweeney at any cost.

"Durham County has more than fulfilled our expectations for our first original series in its successful debut this fall, particularly with our key 25-54 demographic," said Leslie Chesloff, Executive Vice President, Programming, ION Media Networks. "In season two, our protagonist is trying to keep his broken family together in the aftermath of a serial killer, while he is lured into an incredibly dangerous place by a seductive woman. Viewers will be on their seats wondering what Pen will do next, who she might target and whether Mike will realize the terrible threat she poses before it's too late."

"We are thrilled at the way audiences have embraced this series and are excited that ION Television is bringing this award-winning show back for another electrifying season in January," said Michael Prupas, President of Muse Entertainment and executive producer of Durham County.
    Co-creator and Executive Producer Janis Lundman of Back Alley Films adds, "We think viewers will be intrigued by the new female villain, Michelle Forbes, who they will recognize from her portrayal of an equally menacing character on True Blood.' In addition, they will be drawn into our hero's struggle to heal his broken family and deal with the separation from his wife while he becomes increasingly drawn to this damaged woman."

"This season we explore what happens to people after their lives have been affected by a serial killer and the darkest side of their psyches are exposed, which also shows them the way to true compassion," said Co-creator and Executive Producer/Director Adrienne Mitchell. "Season two also shifts more focus to the complex characters of the Sweeney's daughter Sadie, played poignantly by Laurence LeBoeuf, and the neighbor's abandoned son, Ray Jr., portrayed by the talented Greyston Holt," she adds.

Durham County is written by Laurie Finstad-Knizhnik ("Bliss") and helmed by directors Adrienne Mitchell, Alain DesRochers (Nitro) and Rachel Talalay (Terminal City). Michael Prupas ("Human Trafficking") of Muse Entertainment and Janis Lundman and Adrienne Mitchell ("Bliss") of Back Alley Films serve as executive producers. The series has received 13 Gemini Award nominations, including five wins: Best Actor for Justin Louis, Best Actress for Hlne Joy, Best Direction for Holly Dale, Best Writing for Laurie Finstad Knizhnik and Best Sound. In addition, the show was nominated for four Director's Guild of Canada Awards, winning two and taking home the CFTPA's Indie Award for "Best Dramatic Series." The program was also recognized with nominations from the Writer's Guild of Canada and ACTRA Montreal. In a deal signed last January with ITV Global Entertainment, ION Television acquired the exclusive U.S. rights to the critically acclaimed and award-winning original TV series, Durham County. In addition, the network secured all U.S. television, digital media rights, internet streaming and video-on-demand rights for the program.

7. Destiny

Well their aim is to make this a creepy show, they get the top honors. :eek:

I am not real keen on the daughter [Laurence Leboeuf as Sadie Sweeney]being more the center of the show she is a great actress, and I know Hugh has nothing but high praise for her, but scale it back a bit, he does have two daughters, and I mean while they [Mike and Audrey] are protecting her and with her at the hospital, who by chance is watching Maddie? I mean honestly this kid is good and yet totally getting ignored. She [Cicely Austin] apparently isn't that well known from what I could find but the small moments on the show she makes the most of, so come on help the kid out lol.

And what is with Ray Prager? I mean geez murder, crazier then a loon, and yet has more luck then a leprechaun, enough already move on kill the guy or lock him up for much later on in the series and get another crazy lunatic. Have to admit that Michelle Forbes did a great job as a psycho-pathic lunatic.

They missed the boat on the cancer story, that would have added more to it, but poof nothing really on it, then dang she is poisoned by Pen? and survives that, apparently someones snatched a little luck from Ray. :shifty:

Also if the kid wants to be a cop so bad, and no offense but the cops are basically letting her solve the crime, then she really needs to go back to the basic's, like a little evidence, a investigating, a little common sense. :wtf: She is a Teenager, or mini adult for goodness sake.

While it sounds like I hate this show, I don't I like it alot, creepy still, not so much liking the swearing but ION has blocked that out. It's just a lot inconsistant and if their objective was to make you go :confused: along with the creeps then they have succeeded!

8. Destiny

Hugh Dillon on Facebook said this.

-Hugh Dillon Durham County season3 is returning to TV on Monday, October 25. It will be airing in Canada on HBO Canada, The Movie Network and Movie Central.

When we get news on U.S. and International airings we'll let you know.

Then there is a tvguide.ca article.

Durham County, HBO Canada/The Movie Network/Movie Central

Returns: Oct. 25

Where we left off: After much convincing from her dad, Mike (Hugh Dillon), Sadie (Laurence Leboef) finally testified against Ray (Romano Orzari); Dr. Pen Verrity (Michelle Forbes) sought solace — and death — in the hands of Ray and a razor; and Ray escaped from jail and sent Sadie a birthday present (if you can call a gun a gift, that is).

Backstage buzz: In June 2009, Durham County scored an early third season renewal, a month before its second season debuted. Expect more of the usual dark grittiness from this Canadian drama in the upcoming chapter. “In the third season we’re looking at the kind of violence that’s sanctioned by the community,” tells co-creator Laurie Finstad Knizhinik. “Our antagonist is a former solider and the action takes place in a Durham that’s imaged as a war zone.”

“This season the Sweeneys are all entering a new and exciting phase in their lives,” continues co-creator Janis Lundman. “But everything begins to spiral out of control and their lives will be turned upside down.
    “It’s going to be a terrifying, but wonderful ride.”

Upcoming guest stars: Michael Nardone (Rome), as Mike’s new nemesis, Ivan. Watch out for this newcomer. His chemistry with Dillon is “spellbinding to watch,” according to director Adrienne Mitchell.

Predictions: Season 3 synopses read that Mike’s new task force will investigate the brutal murder of two young boys along highway 401; one of their own officers tries to bury a dangerous secret; and Audrey (Hélène Joy) and Sadie embark on a new chapter of their lives.