Hannibal

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by JorjaFoxFan, May 12, 2013.

1. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Anyone watching this one? It's on quite late.. at least for me (Canada), we get it at 11pm-12, Thursday, on NBC.

The only reason I started watching this show is because I love Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) whose English projects are few and far between. The first few episodes are a little bit rocky getting through, but once you're in, you're in.

It also stars Lawrence Fishburne, who got the gig after his CSI stint was up. I like this show because it's less of a procedural drama as it is about the mind of a killer, and the killer himself.

Anyways, if you haven't checked it out, all episodes are available online. Definitely worth a shot IMHO. :)

2. Criminalist

Criminalist Rookie

I agree! At first I wasn't sure about NBC making a series out of the character of Hannibal, but I was really surprised how well the show is written. One min. you like Hannibal, than the next min. you don't.

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

FYI: Please note that tonight's episode will start 15 minutes later, at 10:15pm ET/9:15pm CT, right after The Office Retrospective/Series Finale episodes end. [​IMG]

Hannibal
    "Fromage"
    5/16/13, 10:15pm ET/9:15pm CT

HANNIBAL IS FORCED TO FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE, WHILE WILL REACHES OUT ROMANTICALLY TO ALANA - The BAU investigates a murder in which the killer exposes the victim's vocal cords to literally play them like a cello. Meanwhile, Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) discovers that the killer, Tobias, (Demore Barnes) murdered the victim as an attempt to gain Hannibal's attention but then makes an attempt to take Lecter's life. Will (Hugh Dancy) is driven to distraction by strange noises in his head and turns to Alana, in a romantic way, seeking peace and stability. Hannibal describes his relationship with Will to his therapist, Dr. Bedilia Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson, The X-Files). Vladmimir Cubrt, Dan Fogler, guest.

http://www.nbc.com/hannibal/

4. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

HANNIBAL
    "TROU NORMAND"
    05/23/2013 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Thursday)

A SERIAL KILLER'S MACABRE TROPHY RAISES QUESTIONS AND CLUES TO MOTIVES AS WELL AS SECRETS - The BAU team hunts a serial killer who digs up his victims, creating a totem pole of their bodies as a macabre trophy. When Nick Boyle's (Mark Rendall) body is found, Jack (Laurence Fishburne, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) & Alana (Caroline Dhavernas) question Abigail (Kacey Rohl) about his death. The resurrection of Nick's body enlightens Will (Hugh Dancy) to some of Abigail's secrets and Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) convinces Will to keep some of his own. Attempting to assert independence, Abigail agrees to write a book with Freddy Lounds (Lara Jean Chorostecki) and in the process, reveals her biggest secret to Hannibal. Lance Henriksen co-stars.

5. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

HANNIBAL
    "BUFFET FROID"
    05/30/2013 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Thursday)

BAU investigates a murder in which two victims' faces are similarly mutilated; given a "Glasgow Smile." For the first time, Will (Hugh Dancy) contaminates a crime scene thinking he committed the first murder and an MRI shows he suffers from Advanced Encephalitis. But Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) intimidates the attending physician, Dr. Sutcliffe, (John Benjamin Hickey) into telling Will he's okay. Meanwhile, the team doubts Will who says, while revisiting the crime scene alone, he saw a mysterious, "dead-looking" woman (Ellen Muth) who may be involved. With his fears fed by Hannibal, Will returns to Dr. Sutcliffe for more mental health tests, when the doctor is murdered. Hilary Jardine, Krista Bridges guest.

6. JorjaFoxFan

So, I take it nobody actually watches this show, hey? haha

7. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I watch, but I've only seen the first 3 episodes. It's not the type of show for everyone due to the content. I'm impressed with the visuals; it's filmed very well. I really like Laurence Fishburne & Mads Mikkelsen's performances, but I think Hugh Dancy might be trying too hard with his role. I like it so far, and am looking forward to Gillian Anderson's episodes since The X-Files is my favorite show. [​IMG]

8. JorjaFoxFan

Yeah that's my only set back with it so far, is I'm not a huge fan of Hugh Dancy. I do love Mads Mikkelsen and the story lines that are emerging around him, however.

9. Criminalist

Criminalist Rookie

Been watching since it started. Enjoying every min. of it. I didn't think that they would be able to pull it off, when I first heard that they were making a series out of
    Hannibal.

10. JorjaFoxFan

Yeah, despite any reserves I'm holding over the show, I am incredibly impressed that Bryan Fuller pulled it off. I had very low expectations for a spin-off show, but its cinematography is brilliant, as is the writers' ability to write psychopath :)

I really hope this gets renewed (haven't had a chance to look yet). I'm excited to see where they can take it.

11. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Too bad Hannibal Lecter didn't stick to his day job, he could have had his own cooking show.

12. JorjaFoxFan

People or not, his cooking does look dellicious :p

Still no word on whether or not the show has been renewed, however I believe the network needs to let the producers know by June 1st at the latest. They're definitely leaving this one until last minute, I believe it's the only show they've yet to announce.

However, if NBC does decide to pass on a second season, A&E has expressed interest in the show, so regardless, I'm confident we'll be getting a second season. Bryan Fuller has made a statement that the finale is supposed to be such a cliff-hanger, that if they aren't renewed, fans will die.

13. JorjaFoxFan

Sorry for the double post, as I'm unable to edit my last.

As of tonight, Hannibal was officially renewed with NBC for a second season. We're far cry away from the 7 seasons that Bryan Fuller officially wants (to cover all the books), but it's definitely the first step! Congrats to the show.

NEXT WEEK:
    When Dr.Gideon (Eddie Izzard) escapes from police custody, he seeks to kill psychiatrists who have profiled him. Will (Hugh Dancy) and the BAU team try to track him down by following Freddie Lounds’ (Lara Jean Chorostecki) blog before Gideon can get to Alana (Caroline Dhavernas).Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) misleads the BAU team in order to put Will in the same room as Gideon, and Jack (Laurence Fishburne) questions Dr. Chilton (Raul Esparza) regarding Gideon’s escape.

I'm really excited that Eddie Izzard is returning, I do love him and am glad he has a recurring role.

I thought this week was very interesting, Hannibal is going to great lengths to ensure that Will remains in a fragile state of mind, so as to easily manipulate him further. I'm also curious as to what his end game is with revealing Alana's location to Gideon (next week), as I'm sure Alana remains a very valuable asset to him due to her unwavering faith in his honesty.
    I'm curious as to whether Gideon is aware that it was Hannibal's crimes he tried to take the wrap for in the first place..

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

JorjaFoxFan--it's only a double post if you come back in a 24-hour period. Your previous post was 5/28, so no worries. [​IMG]

Anyhoo, this is excellent news; I would've been extremely disappointed if this was cancelled. I'll be watching another episode tonight! [​IMG]

NBC renews Hannibal for Season 2

From TV Guide magazine (May 20-June 2, 2013 Double Issue/60 Greatest Comedies of All Time! Who's #1? & The Big Bang Theory--What's the smash sitcom's secret formula?)

5 REASONS WE LOVE
    Hannibal's Hugh Dancy

"As we get into the second half of the season," Dancy hints, "their relationship gets almost operatic"

UNLIKE OTHER TIC-LADEN crime solvers on TV, 37-year old Hugh Dancy plays the brilliant but tortured FBI profiler Will Graham with just the right mixture of neuroses and warmth. That's just one of the many reasons we love him.

1. He's choosy about his roles.
    The English actor--who is married to Homeland's Claire Danes--has performed in only one other American TV series: He had an arc on Showtime's The Bic C. "With Hannibal, I wouldn't say I took convincing, but it was [creator] Bryan Fuller's description of how he saw this whole season playing out that really hooked me."

2. He doesn't play dumb.
    One of Dancy's concerns before signing on was that Will would look like an idiot for not immediately realizing Hannibal is the Chesapeake Ripper. "Will operates on a different plane from anyone else, and so does Hannibal," he says. "There's a real connection between them, which blinds Will to what's right in front of his eyes."

3. He's smart in real life, too.
    Before moving to London to pursue acting, Dancy studied English at Oxford University. "I suppose there are smart people there," he says.

4. He's a trouper.
    All those scenes in which Will sleepwalks outdoors in his skivvies? They were shot during the winter in Toronto. "It was bloody cold," Dancy recalls. But with the help of some blankets and a hot water bottle tucked into his belt, he made it through.

5. He's a ruff guy.
    One of Will's defining characteristics is the pack of strays he keeps at his Virginia home. Turns out, Dancy shares that affinity with his character: "Oh, I'm a dog person. We have one [at home]." --Oriana Schwindt

HANNIBAL
    Thursdays: 10pm ET/9pm CT, NBC
    nbc.com, hulu.com
    Twitter: @NBCHannibal

15. JorjaFoxFan

^^ They are staying very true to the books, which is refreshing (Other than making Freddie Lounds a woman... Whom I can't stand! :shifty: ).

The only thing I am noticing is the complete lack of affection they're including as a character trait. I mean, this is partially true, but the complete psychological defamation of Will is a little OOC. Hannibal likes people insofar as they aid his anonymity, which is accurately portrayed through Abigail Hobbs and Alana Bloom, but he is really pushing Will to a whole new level.

My only reservation about where this show is going is that Byran Fuller probably won't obtain the rights to Clarice Starling, as another station is currently producing a show about her called "Starling". Having to tiptoe around those rights will be upsetting, but here's to hoping for a character in lieu of Clarice that Hannibal is able to express an affectionate predisposition.