Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:NY

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 28, 2006.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Since this is a ship thread it only makes sense that you were implying non-shippers say they have romantic chemistry. Why would you say anything if you weren't trying to give the impression that even non-shippers want them together. There's a huge difference between friendly chemistry and romantic chemistry and to lump them together in a shipper thread gives a false impression of what people think.

2. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Since we can't post inside the Spoiler Thread in the General Forum we need to talk about this here. When i talk about "chemistry" i mean the one if you are a writer, and if you are lucky enough to find (because it happens just once in a while) you need to do something with it because if you don't use it in time you are in risk of wasting it

Some people like you, think it is a friendly chemistry and that's great because, technically, they are the best friends

but Many of us think it's the best to put them together because that chemistry is so natural and so rich it would be a real lost to keep that relationship platonic.
    They don't need to force a relationship. It flows naturally:drool::drool::drool::drool:

In any way you have your opinion and it's ok in the same way i keep mine;)

3. PerfectAnomaly

I don't have a problem with you having a different opinion than I do. What bothers me is that you're using non-shippers' opinions of their friendship and/or brother/sister chemistry as a way to make it sound like even non-shippers want them together or as a reason for TPTB to put them in a romantic relationship. Just because a lot of people think they have a lot of non-romantic chemistry doesn't mean it would be a natural progression to put them together romantically.

4. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I have to agree with PerfectAnomaly. Yes, I am a non-shipper too, if it matters. I respect these people who like Smacked, even if I don't share their opinions. I am one of those who think they have friendly chemistry, and I actually think it is a good thing. To be honest, I think that sometimes it's best if some people stay friends, especially if the romantic chemistry just isn't there. It would NOT would be a natural progression to put them together romantically, as PerfectAnomaly said. I mean, if I thought it would be natural and a good idea, then I actually would become a shipper instead of being a non-shipper.

5. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

#5 non shipper here. I don't see nor have I ever seen any romantic chrmistry between them.:confused: They are not even as involved in each other's personel lives as many think.:lol: Mac dated Payten for how long before she knew about it:alienblush:, and in the episode All Acess when Mac and Don arrived at her apt. Don was the one to tell Mac who Frankie was. Mac still does not know about Adam:alienblush: So I think that people see more to their frindship than what is there. :rolleyes: Thay are good friend's and work well together, but I have no desire to see them as a couple:klingon: Both are workaholics, have no sence of humer, no spark and as a couple would be too boring.:scream: Now that said, I know the smackies will hate that and get mad, but please remember I always respect your opinions and viewpoints and hope that you will allow me mine.:) Spread the love:luvlove:

6. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Whats there to know? Stella had sex with him and said she never wants to AGAIN!!!:guffaw:That aside she can sleep with whomever she wants, she and Mac are not married.
    The perception I was getting from Ghawzees post was indeed she is a Mac and Stella shipper and wishes the writers would expound on that. Those who are not and like the "Just friend" ship obviously are not wanting any more ...what am I missing?:confused:

7. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

You are obivously missing that Ghawzee thinks that even non shippers (like the ones who want Mac and Stella to stay friends) want Mac and Stella to get a romantic relationship as it would be natural because of the "chemistry". I have no idea if Ghawzee was only guessing, or is there was any misunderstanding. We had a debate here, trying to discuss whether chemistry (even friendly, not romantic chemistry) always leads to love or if people can stay friends. While we who think Mac and Stella only are friends or have a brother/sister relationship doesn't share that point of view.

Me personally think there is a huge difference between friendly chemistry (which includes a brother and sister relationship), and romantic chemistry. So saying that some people have chemistry (like Mac and Stella) can mean different things. I think that romantic and friendly chemistry shall not be mixed, and I don't think there is any natural progress to get a romantic chemistry if there is only friendly chemistry. If you understand what I mean.

I am tired, and it feels like I am repeating myself. I maybe misunderstood that post, and maybe you understood Ghawzee's post better.

8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

GHAWAZEE wrote:
    HHMMM...Doesnt seem "obvious" to me.
    Thats nice.. your entitled.

Oh trust me...there is!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  9. PerfectAnomaly

Last time I checked it is more than remotely possible for a man and a woman to have chemistry as friends without it leading to romantic chemistry. If that weren't the case then society might as well give up on marriage and monogamy because everyone will end up sleeping with everyone else with whom they share any friendly chemistry. Having a good rapport with someone and being friends doesn't automatically, "naturally" progress to more. :rolleyes:

10. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

To me, chemistry is never a fact, to me it's a very subjective thing. Many people (like me) see a romantic chemistry between Danny and Lindsay. Many people see a romantic chemistry between Mac and Stella. Some don't see any romantic chemistry between any of them. To me it sometimes seems like people try to convince each other that there is/isn't romantic chemistry between ships, which I don't think will ever work. What I also don't get is why it seems to be a fact in some people's eyes that DL is a fiasco. I think those who like them don't see them as a fiasco at all. Like I said, everyone seems to have a different taste/sees a different chemistry/whatever. Sorry if my post makes no sense. It's also not meant to attack anyone. I just felt like adding my opinion to the discussion. Personally I'm fine with every ship on the show. I have my ship and when Mac and Stella get together in the future, I'll be happy for those who've been waiting for it as much as I've been waiting for DL to become a couple.

11. PerfectAnomaly

I agree completely that it's all opinion. I never disputed that. It's when one side tries to put words in the others' mouths to try and "prove" their point that gets me irritated. And I've probably been guilty of doing it at one point or another. I don't think DL being a fiasco is an overall "fact." It's just a fact that I personally think they are a fiasco and I can point to examples of why I think they're a fiasco. Other people may take those same examples and use them as reasons for why it's a fact they don't personally believe DL is a fiasco.

Another thing that gets me frustrated is when people who want a ship to go canon are considered "passionate" about their wants and needs, but people who speak up about not wanting a particualr ship get the "hater" label. I'm passionate about wanting Mac and Stella to stay close friends and co-workers. That's no different than someone else being passionate about wanting them to end up together.

12. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Yeah, I agree with you, that's what I mean. And like you also said, it's people having different opinions. This is why it's bugging me when some people act like it's a fact they are a fiasco, because I have as much reasons for loving the ship as others have their reasons for not liking them. Which is why I don't get the fights over ships sometimes.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I think the general problem is that disagreeing usually leads to fights. :lol: Unfortunately. I know the great thing about forums is to discuss different opinions, but I have a problem with the whole 'I see .... and you have to see it as well' or 'I don't like ..... so there is no way someone else can like them.' But that's possibly just me having this problem. :lol:

About the hater label, I think the other side has the same problem; people who want two characters to get together often are told that they want them to share fanfic scenes. I think there is a big difference between wanting a ship to be canon and wanting them to kiss/sleep with each other/whatever every episode. If this makes sense. It's late here, so don't expect perfect explanations. :lol:

13. PerfectAnomaly

That's very true too. People on both sides can and do get a raw deal when it comes to generalizing or grouping people into one easy label that obviously doesn't fit all.

14. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Okay, great, just deleted my entire post. Typical. :(

I think it's a reason why, on the other hand, I like those debate threads, because to me it's interesting to see what attracts people to other ships and tell them why I ship DL.

15. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

This is what we are talking about.:rolleyes: Every comment someone had made showing that they don't want Mac and Stella together, you try to make them see it your way. The fact is not everyone see's it your way and thier not going too. Let them have thier own opinion without feeling like you have to change thier mind. :) In the overall context of life, this is only a t.v. show. :thumbsup: I love reading different posts for everyone but, I would never argue with someone over them.:) Even though I am an Adella fan and you'r a smackie and we don't agree, I am still going to seend you some love.:luvlove: