Second Season Report

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by EllaBaird, May 14, 2015.

1. EllaBaird

EllaBaird Civilian

It has been announced that the CSI: Cyber will return for the second season in the fall. But reports have marked that Peter MacNicol will not be joining the cast in this season. Instead, the CSI star Ted Danson will play his role.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^Well, Simon is leaving, but nobody is taking his place as the 'boss'. It makes sense, Avery should really be in charge without having a boss. (I like Simon though, so I'm a bit sad to see him go.) Danson will be DB, of course, but I'm not sure what role he's going to play in the team. He's not technically replacing Simon, though. (CSI Files news link)

Hmm, maybe they'll be injecting a bit more old-school CSI forensics into the show alongside the cyber component? That's one way to stay true to the franchise's roots and the premise of the spinoff...it could be interesting. Digital fingerprints and real ones to help them catch the bad guys. They've used a bit of real forensics before, but not too much. I guess we'll see!

One of the things about CBS and the CSI shows is that they tend to skew older when it comes to viewership--but my mom, for example, gets completely lost when we're watching Cyber because she can't keep up with all the jargon. I feel like Cyber was intended to be a youth-targeted show because of the technological element, but it ended up not really appealing to young viewers or to older ones, falling somewhere in the middle and coming up short on what the network was aiming for.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. :lol: I'm curious to see what kind of changes they make before next season.

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Danson's not going to be Avery's boss, so I don't get the logic of him joining the show. Did he suddenly get a crash course in cybercrime forensics? [​IMG]

4. MaxPointy

MaxPointy Hit and Run

I'm thinking the logic in Ted Danson joining was:

A) Provide more forensics support for non-cyber crimes. I expect they'll be dialing back the tech jargon a bit in an effort to aim for a broader audience.

B) Have a male character with "gravitas" whose role is distinctively different from Arquette's character. Plus Ted Danson is pushing 70. I'm thinking he won't be the lead, but will get "and Ted Danson as DB Russell" billing at the end of the credits. They'll leave the "kicking down doors" stuff to James Van Der Beek.

C) Keep a link alive to the original CSI.

5. whennow

whennow Dead on Arrival

Good points! It can't appeal to young people who use the technology because its like every new technology or site or service is evil! All its used for is evil! That's the nature of combining crime show with technicality but that's what made csi cyber such a huge joke to many. I don't see what's so bad about uber being used for killing but its just a huge joke!

6. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

I would like to see them do the following in an attempt to retool the show for the long-term next season:

1) Stop all of the technobabble. I understand the show is about digital crimes, but the average viewer does not know all of these terms. Hopefully, D.B. will be the show's "Gibbs" in that the geeks will have to explain the more complicated things to him like Abby does with Gibbs.
    2) Get rid of the young girl. The show doesn't need three computer geeks. Instead, cast a late 20's/early 30's female detective type that can help JVB chase down perps and kick in doors. No offense to PA, but she just does not seem to be in that great a shape to be doing all of the physical stuff. She should take on more of a mentor/motherly role.
    3) Hire some writers outside of the CSI franchise and focus on some character development like the NCIS, L&O & Chicago franchises.
    4) I know this is petty, but PA needs to do something with that mop on her head. It's f'ing horrible. I bet she would look much better with a shorter hairstyle like Robin Wright on House of Cards.

7. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

They don't need to get rid of Hayley Kiyoko--they need to give her MORE SCREEN TIME!!! It's great that they have a woman there, but if she's not seen, why bother?

It's constantly Charley Koontz & Shad Moss ALL THEM TIME--writers, the "bromance" you're trying to force between the 2 is NOT working--Krumitz was wary of having Nelson on the team to begin with--why don't you continue with that, then let it slowly progress where they get friendlier with each other, and "Krummy" can admire Nelson's "mad skillz". [​IMG]

Did David Caruso chase down perps on CSI: Miami? No, he left that for the youngsters on his team. He doesn't need to do that, and neither does Patricia Arquette.

8. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

After the season finale I think the show have a chance, but as you wrote - it need a new writers or give people to create a interesting history. It's not hard when people start think what can happen.
    We have this team and whole change (what I really want do) of people is impossible. Production this cuts with LCD's or something (hope you know what I mean) is great and fit to it, but characters are some kind like computers - without or lack of emotions. I think it could be a possible problem of Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders cause I found that today writers in 95% can create a interesting personal relations as we had on original CSI or CSI: Miami or CSI: NY (in NY for me in seasons 1 to 6 finale). Writers should sometimes kill someone and the best example is Grey's Anatomy right now - ratings are good and not drop after Derek leaving. But writers think about risk and for me, when I see a promo with "heartstopping episode" and shots in the background I think "another bla bla it will end with everything fine". It should change.

9. whennow

whennow Dead on Arrival

Hopefully the writers did see how their bromance between Nelson and krummitz failed so horribly! It was so aggressively forced and phony! It takes time. Like maybe Greg and nick on csi.