CSI:NY Season 5 Spoilers Discussion - Start Spreadin' The News!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Admitting feelings for someone doesn't mean there was anything going on. The only thing that went on was sex on a pool table ONCE. At least he took Rikki to his bed and it was Rikki he turned to in his worst time of need, not Lindsay. That right there speaks volumes as to how he thought of his relationship with Lindsay.

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!...again. :p

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Honestly, I think it's kind of sad that we can't even discuss Danny and Rikki's 'relationship', platonic/romantic/whatever, without bringing Lindsay into it. Yes, she loves him, yes, he had that ridiculous line that was basically like 'I don't know what I feel or what to say to you' - however, in no way does that mean his every thought and action must relate back to that. I don't think the biggest question with Rikki coming back is whether Lindsay will find out she slept with Danny. The biggest question is why she's coming back after she already said goodbye.

Danny and Rikki share something that has nothing to do with Lindsay, and I don't think Lindsay should be allowed to encroach on that. Bringing Rikki back so that Lindsay can get pissy and turn Danny and Rikki's painful - and perhaps regrettable - relationship into something about her would piss me off.

Partially because every scene Jacqueline and Carmine have had has been powerful, and Anna trying to get in on the action would taint it.

And no, I still won't be convinced that Danny 'cheated' or that he owes Lindsay anything for her apparent assumption that they were more than he apparently thought they were. Sorry, but I'm stubborn like that.

Even if the show tries to convince me, it'll feel about as half-ass as everything else to do with D/L.

3. AppleJack

AppleJack Police Officer

It is sad, but I can't help it! :(

You're right. But I fear it will cause more D/L drama.

This paragraph perfectly states what I'm afraid of happening when Rikki returns. I just don't trust TPTB on this one. I really hope I'm terribly wrong, I really do.

4. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I do hope that's not the way their storyline will be resolved :(

I think I'll take everything except for pregnancy (ok, it'd be worse if both R and L announce they're pregnant :rolleyes: ) but I'm not sure if putting Danny in another emotional trauma would be the best option. Don't get me wrong, I love CG but his character can easily be called one of the unluckiest men in the world and if Rikki was back seeking help or let's say, he was beaten up by Ruben's father (did I miss sth? I don't remember Ruben's father ever mentioned?) I think it may be just too much. He's been in emotional hell so many times that I wish they give him a break next season (Mac, Stella and Lindsay should rest as well). I hoped for some interesting storylines for the rest (well, at least with Flack and Sid we have sth to look forward to) so I'm not sure if it's the best idea to exploit Danny more.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Yes, apart from information from Jacqueline Pinol's website that Rikki will continue to recur in season five of CSI:NY, everything else is speculation. I must say it's rather entertaining and amusing to see how much discussion and spazzing out has come about from a single line. :lol: Well, Ms. Pinol, rest assured there are definitely those of us who are thrilled about you returning to CSI:NY to play the part of Rikki Sandoval! :D

Obviously TPTB felt Ms. Pinol's performance was marvelous, or they wouldn't have brought her back for the upcoming season. :) TPTB could have left things 'ended' with the farewell scene in episode 4x19, but they've decided to bring Rikki back anyway. I'm sure they have a good reason, and like others have mentioned, it better not be simply to 'push the DL agenda'. :mad: Bad enough the Ruben storyline was already cheapened by Lindsay treating Danny like crap just for turning down her lunch offer and not going to her for support on her own terms, but they wanna cheapen Rikki's grief just for the sake of whatever's left of DL? Ya gotta be kidding me.

Why the f**k does everything involving Danny have to end up being about Lindsay? Is this self-insertion going into overkill mode or something?

This is yet more proof that TPTB should have separated Danny and Lindsay and quit using Danny as a prop for Lindsay years ago. It is a bad situation when people instantly assume that anything happening to Danny has to relate to Lindsay in some way. Worse, that it has to be all about her too!

And yeah, way to assume people are happy to see Rikki back just because said people aren't fans of Lindsay or DL. Like Faylinn said:

Same here. Even if Lindsay didn't exist, I'd still be happy to see Rikki return. She and Danny have fantastic chemistry together, and they have massive potential for an actual mature, complex and believable relationship.

And about a Rikki-being-pregnant storyline as 'something that shouldn't happen because it's too soap opera-ish and cliche' ... Gee, Lindsay rejecting Danny after not showing up for a dinner with no explanation and giving him a juvenile excuse of, "It's not you, it's me," trying to kiss him minutes after a supposedly harrowing trial was over, jumping him after some drinks and having sex on a pool table, treating him like dirt for merely turning down her lunch offer and not going to her on her terms when he was still grieving for a dead child, ignoring him for weeks even after he apologized and wanted to talk with her like adults isn't soap opera-ish? (And those were just some examples.)

Amen to that!

Seeing as Lindsay herself is the one intent on never getting involved with Danny again, as she said herself to Mac and to Danny in her Monologue of Doom (Ya know, the 'get over it' part? The one people just love to ignore?), I don't see why Rikki returning should have anything to do with her at all. In fact, if she genuinely meant what she said and she's determined to be her own person, she has no say in what Danny can or can't do. Hell, even if she was his girlfriend (and I stand by my opinion they were never together, she only assumed that), she still would not have had any say in what Danny can or can't do. He's his own person, just like she should be her own person and not have to use him as a prop year by year.

So Rikki returning =/= Trigger for DL angst. Kinda difficult for that to happen if there was no relationship to begin with, especially not after Lindsay's intentions to never get involved with Danny ever again.

If she really loves Danny like she claims she does, she should be happy that Danny's happy, regardless of whether it's with her or not, and that includes Danny possibly finding happiness with Rikki.

I don't see why Rikki returning automatically means more emotional hell for him. I can totally see Danny and Rikki being shown to meet up regularly even after she moved away. and that Danny has found peace and a solace with Rikki. The only reason there's the assumption Rikki coming back means drama is because people are tying it with Lindsay and DL. Like I said above, if Lindsay's already intent on getting over Danny and moving on as early as episode 4x16, it is no business of hers what Danny chooses to do with himself and with Rikki, best friend or not.

6. AppleJack

AppleJack Police Officer

Ok, thinking positive here. Maybe Rikki's return will help Danny to get over 'his part' in Ruben's death and finally be done with Lindsay as smooth as possibly can be done. That can be the definite end of D/L drama and result in giving Danny a break. That would make me happy! :lol:

And well, more Sid an lots of Flack makes me jump for joy! :D

7. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

no, by emotional hell I meant the kind of storyline similar to the one from 'All in the Family', like Ruben's father turning up furious or sth like that. Sorry, I think it would be too much for Danny.

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Ah, well, that's speculation too, so who knows if TPTB will go with that or any of the other speculations elaborated here or not. *shrug* As of now, it's never been confirmed whether Ruben's father is alive or dead, or why Rikki is/was a single mother. It would be interesting to find out what happened, but yeah, no more emotional hell for Danny and Rikki. :lol:

Huh, now that I think about it, we don't even know what Rikki's occupation is. It must be a good job if she can afford an apartment similar to Danny's and take care of a child on her own.

9. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Subtext, subtext, subtext. Can we PLEASE stop using the whole canon debate and just accept that some people believe that Danny and Lindsay had something going on beyond a one night stand? Stop ramming the whole canon thing down people's throats and accept that people believe what they believe because of what has been hinted at. None of us know exactly where they stood with each other but there has been plenty to suggest that they were somewhere and that at least they had feelings for each other even if they chose not to pursue a relationship for whatever reason.

As for not bringing Lindsay up in a discussion about Rikki coming back, it's kinda hard because a lot of us firmly believe that Rikki was brought in to highlight D/L (either negatively or not). We may not like it but there ya go. It's also hard because a lot of people who like Rikki seem to be tied up in their dislike for Lindsay. Is it any wonder that others believe them to want Rikki back because they want Lindsay out of Danny's life? It makes sense that you can't discuss one without discussing the other.

I'd actually be interested in hearing from someone who likes Rikki and wants her back but who doesn't think that Lindsay is a selfish manipulative bitch. Anyone?

And breathe! :)

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Canon is NOT subtext. People can believe what they believe but unless there is canon proof, it's just speculation. Besides, Lindsay told Danny where she stood in her Monologue of Doom. It seems that CANON only applies when it's positive for DL.:rolleyes: I think we can all agree that something had gone on with DL. That's obvious from Lindsay telling Mac she never should have gotten involved with a co-worker. Even saying that though, it doesn't say how little or much they were involved but by Danny's reaction to her little speech, he clearly didn't know how she felt.

I can easily talk about Rikki coming back without bringing Lindsay into the conversation. Actually, I did that several posts ago and Lindsay never crossed my mind.

It seems to have been that way for quite some time. It may be shocking but Danny did seem to function just fine before Lindsay arrived at the lab.

I've wondered about that myself and I doubt it's something we'll ever learn.:(

11. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

I have to say Lindsay never crossed my mind either. I was much more intrigued by the idea of how Danny would react to the news that he was going to be a father and what sort of dynamic it would create between him and Rikki. I'm afraid Lindsay didn't get a look-in...:rolleyes:

12. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Nope, it's not. That does not make the subtext any less valid though. No-one is coming on here saying there is canon proof that D/L were together, but some people believe they were because of the subtext and the character development. I can no more say that D/L were together than you can say they only had a one night stand. Yes we saw that they had sex once and it is my interpretation that they probably continued to have sex based on the subtext I've seen and what I saw in terms of the character's wanting to be together at that point. I may be proved wrong but then to me tptb turning around and saying they had a one night stand which never went anywhere, then Lindsay (who we know isn't good at emotional openess) decided to declare her love for him with absolutely no encouragement from Danny makes absolutely no sense. None!! So no, it's not canon but there are reasonable, educated arguments for that being the case from intelligent people who as viewers have the absolute right to interpret based on the subtext of the show. It makes so much more sense to me than people seeing a character a certain way despite the fact that they themselves admit tptb have probably not intended her to be that way.

For some people, who knows? Maybe that's the case. It goes both ways to be honest with you. My argument here is not about what is and what isn't canon (I am very well aware of what that constitutes) but is more that you can argue canon as much as you like but we all interpret the subtext, I'd even go as far as to say those with extreme views manipulate the subtext. I've seen evidence of that in both the D/L and D/R camps. My views are more on the middle ground because really it's not THAT important to me either way, other than that the storyline is consistent and that characters are not assasinated. That's my concern here. I actually like Danny, Lindsay and Rikki as characters and I believed the way it was left allowed a certain amount of dignity for them all, irrespective of whether Danny and Lindsay are together or not. By bringing Rikki back it suggests that the drama is not over (although I could be wrong) and I'm not sure they can carry off anymore drama re. D/L/R without assasinating somebody's character along the way. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm really happy Rikki's coming back, but I hope that whatever storyline she's in will be one that's about her and Danny and not Lindsay. Like other people have said, Danny and Rikki's relationship really has very little to do with Lindsay. I don't even consider Danny sleeping with Rikki as him 'cheating' on Lindsay. I really hope that Danny/Rikki interaction will focus on their feelings towards each other and how they are coping with the aftermath of Ruben's death.
    I'm really hoping for some angsty Danny and some Soft/Sweet Danny when Rikki comes back.
    Jacqueline Pinol is a fantastic actress, and I can't wait to see her back.
    I really hope TPTB don't make it All About Lindsay though! Danny and Lindsay need their own, individual storylines, and I'm hoping that Rikki coming back will provide such a storyline for Danny.

14. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Turbulence sounds really good, especially since Adam is apparantly gonna be out in the field again. I LOVE it when he gets out of the lab.:)

15. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I for one was quite happy with Rikki's exit thought it was handled well. I could see her coming back if there was going to be a court case, but other than that I cant see any viable reason for her to be brought back. Unless, and I hope I am wrong, but I feel a whole D/L/R scenario creeping in, and if they start that then I will be more than pissed off.

Other possibilities are that Rikki could be seen in a flash back. Also she said she was leaving, well if ep 5.1 is only meant to be just after 4.21 then she could still be packing up to leave. So there could be a goodbye scene.

If they are setting it up to be drama central, re the three characters I will be VERY disappointed. I was kind of hopping ANY romance angle for ANY character would be played down this new season. So reading this does not bode well. I was hoping for some actual crime with decent scripts...silly me!!!! Guess that means we will be getting Jordan..*shudder* back as well... I wonder what psycho or looser they will dig up for Stella this time round.

All this speculation aside spoilers are misleading and sometimes deliberately so so I will wait and see....but I do feel another emo train wreck heading this way.. *sigh*

Saying that Turbulance sounds interesting and we have Adam out and about...which is always fun.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.