CSI:NY Season 5 Spoilers Discussion - Start Spreadin' The News!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Bringing up Lindsay in a discussion about Rikki coming back is just as valid as not bringing her up in my opinion. Subtext/canon whatever, I think that it's a sign of good writing and characterisation that people can interpret scenes/actions/emotions in lots of different ways. I too would think that Danny and Lindsay did have a deeper connection than just 'one night stand sex on a pool table', however I don't think that he cheated on Lindsay with Rikki. There are lots of ways to look at it.

That isn't a helpful way to generate discussion.

Although I'll be happy to see Rikki back I did think this storyline had concluded. I do love the continuity but Danny needs to move past this storyline. Everyone has their favourites, and Danny isn't one of mine, and whilst I know that he will play any storyline fantastically I would really like a break from the Danny drama. :lol: And in my opinion, Rikki coming back may well cause some drama, I doubt they are bringing her back so that everything can be sunshine and roses between them. And to that end I genuinely do believe that it's likely to be D/L drama too, as I can't imagine that TPTB are done with them yet.

And yes, wouldn't it be great for some drama to be focused on the others characters for a while? Danny had a great season 4 (in terms of his character, drama and screentime), it's time to give someone else (Hawkes perhaps, or Flack) some decent storylines. Carmine is a great actor, but Hill and Eddie aren't exactly bad either. ;)

I think that whilst the Ruben storyline was very personal to Danny, a lot of the interaction with Rikki after Child's Play could be construed as D/L drama. He didn't answer Lindsay's calls in 'All in the Family' because he was busy looking for Rikki, she lied for him to Mac. In 'Right Next Door' he blows Lindsay off because he's with Rikki, then she is pissed at him, (next episode) tells him that he's shut her out after Ruben's death and that she loves him and needs to get over it. Then, when Rikki is leaving, the whole thing was tied to Lindsay's rain walk and their phone conversation. And then her work is affected in 421, and Mac is worried... For Rikki to be back and it really have nothing to do with D/L or have any affect on Lindsay would be a huge surprise to me.

I may be misunderstanding you, but the 'self-insertion' comment seems odd to me? I haven't seen anything in this thread that suggests people are doing that. People may be of the opinion that a lot of things that happen to Danny do end up affecting Lindsay, even if that isn't necessarily the way they might like it to go, just as others see it differently, it doesn't mean they are self-inserting.

I have to say that I haven't really found the D/L relationship to be soap opera-ish, I think it's been perhaps a little childish and at times had me rolling my eyes but overall it hasn't descending into soap opera territory in my opinion. However, if a woman whose son died whilst he was in the care of a neighbour (regardless of blame) then gets pregnant by said neighbour after either unprotected sex or an unfortunate case of 'failed contraception' (seriously, that is a soap opera-ish general complaint of mine, is it really that difficult for supposedly intelligent adults to avoid pregnancy?), and the neighbour also has another woman (who he works with, just to complicate matters) declaring that she loves him, making a great love triangle. That's when it starts to get a little soap opera-ish. :p :lol: As you can tell, I don't think this is the bestest storyline ever. Luckily this is all speculation, and we may all be pleasantly surprised, very shocked or rather disappointed when the season actually airs.

2. BonaseraFan

BonaseraFan Hit and Run

Since i'm seriously infected by the SMACKY virus i hope they wont dig anyone up for her (except from Mac of course, but nothing indicates that that is going to happen next season), if they have to dig someone up for her, make it a proper guy this time. She needs it :D

3. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I think it'd be almost impossible for Danny to have a storyline centred around Rikki without Lindsay being involved. The only way I could see that happening is if Danny tells Lindsay what happened and she responds by suggesting they move on seperately. Then it's possible for Rikki to come back and it all to be about Danny. The last we saw was Danny telling Rikki what happened was bad and they have to stop, Rikki saying goodbye and Danny apologising to Lindsay and Lindsay telling hm she still loves him. I struggle to see how Rikki coming back can't have anything to do with D/L even if it is indirectly.

4. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I'm intrigued to hear Rikki will make another appearance next season, Jacqueline Pinol is a terrific actress and Rikki Sandoval is a rather compelling character, IMO. And of course, Yay!! for continuity :)

That said, I sincerely hope the writers don't go too OTT with whatever storyline they're cooking up. Don't waste the talents of Ms. Pinol only to further the Drama Lhama. There are plenty of storyline opportunities for Rikki's return that don't include D/L. :rolleyes:

I don't know how I would feel if the writers suddenly turn tables and put Danny and Rikki permanently together as a couple, though. Danny has emerged through the seasons as one of the more popular characters on the show, and I think that whichever way the writers go as far as a permanent romance for him, they stand to alienate a large number of fans in that his partner will always be a lightening rod for bad feelings from the "opposing camp". It's certainly that way with D/L, and it's shaping up to look that way if Danny/Rikki become a more permanent item. Either way they go, it will no doubt be considered an unpopular decision that will piss off alot of fans, similar to the much-debated (and actually still-debated) GSR on the Vegas CSI. Permanent romance for one of the most popular characters is always an iffy venture, at best. Of course we all know that there's no way the writers will ever be able to satisfy everyone, nor should they try. Once you start catering to a specific/vocal/persistent segment of fans to further a pet storyline, then you sell your soul. :devil:

I just don't know if NY needs that much romantic controversy, for want of a better term, when there are so many other excellent opportunities to explore. Personally I'd rather see Flack's family or Louie explored first, or one damn juicy storyline for Hawkes, before another romance for a lead character.

At any rate, I'm anxious to see what they cook up for the return of Rikki Sandoval, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't disappoint me. ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Hahah, that along with the line before it was just a general comment on the fandom as a whole. People may not do it here on the board (thank GOD, or I'll start choking a couple a' biyotches), but I've seen it elsewhere and it is creepy beyond words.

Agreed. I am certainly hoping Rikki's return will not be a mere plot device to push Drama Llama. TPTB already tried a bit with that in season four, and since they already did a farewell scene between Danny and Rikki, I have no idea why they'd bring her back only to drag on the Drama Llama into season five. If TPTB merely wanted to push DL, the farewell would have ended things between Danny and Rikki nicely. So bringing her back? My speculation is still that TPTB intends to start something new between Danny and Rikki, but have it only as a minor development since Rikki's just a recurring character.

I mean, look at the speculations so far in this thread. :lol: People are considering the Rikki-is-pregnant plot to be a viable one in the upcoming season! That alone is pretty good evidence Rikki's return was not expected at all. Nice one, TPTB! ;)

Do I agree with this or what. There's no way to 'fix' the situation now without pissing off at least one group of viewers, but they're gonna have to do it sooner or later.

:lol: Very true, although I think it's much too late for poor Louie who is lost in the Black Hole of Continuity. It's good to know Flack will have new development in the season premiere! :D And Hawkes will also have development in the new season, and SID! :D Hurrah for some continuity, at least. :eek: :lol:

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm curious to Rikki's return because I felt the way they ended it was nicely done in that there were no hard feelings and I kind of guessed she might move.

Part of me does think might only be a one episode thing. I did think the court case at first but as far as i remember that was done already ?

I just think if they made her pregnant it could work or just turn NY into more of a drama than it already is i mean i like chracter development and seeing there private lives but there is only so much before it goes almost to far when its a crime show

I just hope its not a plot device for the DL story because as much as i like them it would be the worst way to take it.

7. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I hope they drag Louie out of that hole, I'd really like to finally know what happened. Are we supposed to think he's dead and Danny never showed any feelings?? :confused: talking about continuity, I wish Gerrard's plot will be finished in season 5 and TPTB don't plan to keep us waiting for answers as they did with Louie.

I cannot wait to see Flack's family :) we had some hints but nothing certain, so it's high time we learn more about him

I'd also love to see Adam-based plot, we got info on his past in 'Some Buried Bones', while not use it finally?

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

You, me and every other viewer who's wondering what it's like for Louie to be in limbo for ... what, two years now? :lol: Something tells me he isn't dead. I dunno, it was the way Danny spoke about him in episode 4x02, I think, the one where he and Hawkes went diving. If Louie had died, I think Danny would have shown more grief when he related his story. Looking at the way Danny reacted when Ruben died, yeah, I think Danny would have collapsed at the very least at some point in season three if his only brother died. I dunno, it's one of those things we'll always speculate about until TPTB confirms something.

We'll be seeing his sister in the premiere episode. :D

There'll be at least one episode that will feature lots of Adam. :D And he's with Hawkes in it, which means Hawkes has screen time too!

MY GOD, TPTB IS ACTUALLY LISTENING. :lol: ;)

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:lol: That sounds awesome, when is this Adam and Hawkes extravaganza taking place? Is it an episode that we already have spoilers for? :confused:

10. imaguestage

imaguestage Dead on Arrival

I may be a little late coming to the party but after reading the last few pages, something has stuck with me. I don't really understand the whole "soap opera" claim. Maybe I am confused (so please clarify if I am) but I don't see how a love triangle or an unexpected pregnancy equals soap opera.

Maybe soaps have changed since I used to watch them when I was younger but to me "soap opera" storylines are way more out there. We have yet to see anyone on CSI:NY possessed by a demon or build a weather machine to destroy the world. There hasn't been the introduction of any long lost twins, no massacre at a wedding in a made-up country, no siblings getting it on and no talking dolls.

Love triangles and unexpected pregnancies are used in all sorts of shows in genres that are decidedly not soap opera-ish. LOST has both unexpected pregnancies and love triangles and I don't think anyone would classify it as a soap opera. Ditto for The Office and Friends. And those are just the three I could think of from my own DVD collection. There are tons more. Let's also consider that Criminal Minds and Without a Trace (both of them crime procedurals) have featured surprise pregnancies this past season.

I just don't understand why Rikki being involved in Danny's life in any capacity always equals soap opera. I didn't understand why Danny "cheating" on Lindsay with Rikki meant the show was becoming a soap opera. Plenty of shows feature characters who commit infidelities and those shows aren't considered soap operas. The Sopranos and 24 come to mind. I don't understand how Rikki's possible return equals soap opera either. Sure, if Rikki had been killed and then returned from the dead, I'd be the first to call "soap opera" but she hasn't and she most likely won't.

Anyway, to bring it back on-topic, I'm quite pleased to hear that Rikki's character might return. I love storylines that span seasons and I'm all for any storyline that gives us more insight into the character's lives outside of the job and the Rikki storyline provides that for Danny. I believe someone asked up-topic if there were any Lindsay fans that are happy to see Rikki coming back...you can count me as one. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Uhm, I hope I didn't accidentally raise hopes or something. :eek: Fay was the one who told me about good Adam stuff coming up. :D He'll definitely appear in a scene with Hawkes and Stella, and do quite a bit of investigative work Adam-style, heheh! Let's see, it's episode ... uh oh, I'm afraid you're gonna have to ask Fay which one it is. :lol:

Say, something just occured to me. We've made speculations based on the presumption that Rikki will come to see Danny about something.

What if it's the other way around? What if it's Danny who goes looking for Rikki instead?

Rikki's the one who made the decision to move away. Danny was very visibly upset when Rikki told him she was moving away and Rikki didn't really give him much of a chance to say anything about it except, "Goodbye." It would make sense that Danny would be the one to look for her instead. That would also make the Rikki-is-pregnant storyline a not so likely one TPTB will go for. :lol: (Although I can still see TPTB going that route.)

Me neither. :confused: Maybe if Rikki and Danny's baby turns out to be an alien from Mars? :eek: :lol:

You are indeed extraordinary. :D Please to be posting more, yesyes?

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I was half-kidding about the pregnancy comment, but story-wise that could actually be an interesting twist for both Danny and Rikki. Here he's gutted by feeling responsible for the death of her child, and that ends up leading to them creating a new life together. I'm with imaguestage--it's really not soap-operaish unless it's done badly. Lost is a good example--twists that look cheesy or whatever on paper actually play out rather beautifully on screen.

The pregnancy thing is all speculation anyway--though the fact that she's going to "continue to recur" on CSI: NY makes me think it's got to be a pretty significant storyline that brings her back, especially after she left. I didn't expect to see her again, and I'm thrilled she's coming back.

As for Lindsay--yeah, of course it will affect her. But I'm kind of hoping this will be the nail in the "Dindsay" coffin--isn't it time Lindsay finally becomes her own character? The only drama she had this season was related to Danny. If I liked the character--and yes, it's well known that I don't, but bear with me--that would be what I'd want for her, to grow and develop on her own. And as someone who doesn't like the character, I would actually be curious to see a storyline for her that doesn't relate to her wanting Danny or being a victim.

13. imaguestage

imaguestage Dead on Arrival

I don't know about you but I smell a spin-off!

Aw thanks! *bats eyelashes*

I agree that it would make for an interesting twist. We must remember that this is the 21st century; not every couple that has a baby gets married and lives happily ever after. There are plenty of couples that end up unexpectedly pregnant and choose to raise the baby without a romantic relationship between the parents. Rikki could return pregnant but that doesn't mean she wants Danny to be in a relationship with her. She might just give him the option to be as involved or uninvolved in the child's life as he wants.

I thinkt that would be a very interesting storyline for Danny. Not only does it last all season (or at least nine months) we can see Danny deal with all these insane changes in his life. For all we know, Danny was raised with the idea of "doing the right thing" when you knock a girl up so this could be a moral struggle for him. Add in angst over Ruben and this could shape up to be an awesome storyline.

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say I'm a Lindsay fan and DL and am happy to see her back cos she was an interesting character and showed us a side of Danny which was unexpected.

If its done right i think it will be great.

I would tho like to see what happened to Gerrard would be nice to have it mentioned.

15. VThewannabe

VThewannabe Victim

Just to add a twist .............

Could it be that she comes back pregnant, with another man and happy.

This could be her coming back and saying move on Danny look at me i am happy .........

:):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.