"Family Affair" Tenth Season Premiere Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 18, 2009.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

Interesting, I thought they were one and the same spider. I just thought Nick was telling Greg, "Hey, this isn't my spider! I'm just taking care of it till I can return it to Grissom."

2. Kohoutek

Kohoutek Prime Suspect

Apologies if any points I make have already been made, I'm still reading through the replies but wanted to get my thoughts down before I fogot them!

I loved the beginning of the episode - such a shame that when it came around to the actual gun fight it was quite anti-climatic. Not too bad though because whilst watching it I was thinking "Crikey, how much trauma can this team go through??" but it turned out to be not that bad after all.

Loving the new Sara too. I always liked Sara but got a bit tired of the miserable, angsty version of her before she left. To have her back and smiling and enjoying her job was great, really refreshing. Marriage is obviously suiting her.

Now, onto all of these 'out of character' moments. It seems to me like TPTB were mirroring everything we've said about Season 9.
    Greg complained that he was given bad/hard/pointless cases whilst CSIs lower in rank (obviously Ray) were left to shine in the foreground. - We've ALL been complaining about Season 9 being the Ray Langston show.
    Greg also complained that they still saw him as the lab rat with the crazy hair - I definitely remember people on here saying that the writers seemed to have forgotten that Greg was a CSI and not an AV Tech.
    Screen time was far better divided in this episode then it has been at all in the last few episodes. I can't remember the phrase Ecklie/Riley's Exit Interview used exactly, but we've all been feeling that the team isn't working together, that they didn't spend any time together, that they never spoke to each other, and that was all covered by Ecklie/Riley in this episode.

So, I dunno, I'm probably imagining it, but it seemed to me that this entire episode was like a "Yes, we've listened to what you all said, and you're right, we're sorry..." from TPTB. Everything that happened in the episode was a metaphor for everything that was wrong with Season 9. Well, IMHO anyway. :lol:

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

the premier was a lot better than a lot of the episodes in the second half of last season. i really liked the opening, it was very visually pleasing and got me interested in what was going on and why.

i am not a huge fan of the episodes with two cases where we find out they are related in the end. but i liked how these two came together in the end. for a while i thought they had just forgot about gregs case and that they just put it in to show the tension between the over worked team.

i dont understand why they had riley so negative towards catherine in the end. did they not get along well last season or something? i dont feel like they really explored the "catherine is not a good leader" thing last season, so its almost like they threw it in to get back at the actress for something. but i guess it did have its place, for catherine to have a heart to heart with sara about her leadership skills and gain more confidence in herself.

i have a spark of renewed faith in the show now, lets see if they can keep it alive for the rest of the season. i

4. byline

byline CSI Level One

My sense was that most of what Riley was referring to built up to a head during the summer, which was "off-camera" for those of us in the viewing audience. As several posters have noted, it's almost like this episode was a checklist of all the things the fans have been complaining about, and they ticked them off one by one. Riley was sort of the scapegoat for the "lack of family cohesiveness" many had complained about with the show, itself.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Releasing from tack, please continue the discussion.

6. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I finish watch it the second time. I'm tried to figure why you keep said it Nick was out of line and so it Greg.

Nick wasn't out of line and he didn't yelled at Greg, he just tried to get Greg to shut up and do it. Greg is out of line. I know he get tired of doing trash run all the time and he was that way with Grissom of Bullet Run Through it, when he complained that he has to do the bullet run on the way on the road and he rolls his eyes that he has to do more. No matter if you don't like the case. When your supervisor told you to do it, just shut up and do it.

Remember, When Brass was a supervisor, he gave Nick the case that he don't like, he did the case. Sara don't like the dometic voilence case and she did it.

I'm glad Sara is back. I knew Sara is married to Grissom. Nick and Greg got trouble with it. They are happy for her. I'm glad it's not Langton all the time.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think anyone said anything about anyone being out of line. People were saying out of character, which is completely different. No one is insulting Nick (or Greg for that matter). People are just saying that they do not agree with the way the writers chose to write that scene. :)

Did I blink and miss the Nick/Sara hug that we saw in the promo pics? I was looking for that scene and I didn't see it. :lol:

I wish Bobby had been in this episode. I could definitely have seen him shooting back at those MIB looking dudes. :lol: I miss Bobby. :(
    I hope we'll see him sometime this season. I guess Archie and Mandy must have been at a conference or something. :lol:

I noticed in the freeze frame scene that both Greg and Cath were wearing blue lab coats. That's interesting. I wonder what they were doing just before the shooting happened.

8. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

No the hug wasn't in there.

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Was doing some research for an article, and digging into past episodes I came across the season 7 episode "Fallen Idols."

The opening sequence is somewhat similar to the beginning of "Family Affair," with the freeze frame and then resuming back to motion.

It wasn't nearly as 'in depth' as this season premiere was (the visuals were better this season as was the way it pertained to the story), but there are some similarities.

10. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

My thoughts on Season 10 premier...

The only thing I enjoyed about the Premier of Season 10 was that it involved most of the original cast. The beginning featuring the gun fight in the lab looked like it was taken out of the movie Matrix. It was so obvious of the main plot of the Premier was to justify to fans why Season 9 after the departure of Petersen was so bad.

Firstly, it was left to Ekelie to explain Langston’s super knowledge. Unfortunately he forgot to inform the viewers that Langston got his black belt during his vacation – WOW what a flying kick he rendered the armed man in the lab and why he deserved to get the speediest promotion any CSI ever got. Don’t be surprised that by Thanksgiving he is promoted to CSI 3. And by Easter Swing Shift Supervisor, so Ms. Nina Tassler did keep her promise that Langston would be in “in a more in-charge capacity in Season 10”.

What is it that the producers don’t get into their head?

I do not have any problem with Laurence Fishburne but his character Langston is a complete put off and a pain in the ass!! Instead of giving him a new wardrobe, they should have given him a face mask!

So the producers are telling us that it is not his fault that he was the lead (although he was a newcomer) investigator in Season 9 – it was Catherine who assigned him to it.]Poor Catherine was made the scapegoat. The fault was in her leadership that lead to declining ratings.

I find him so annoying at the hospital – so patronising – putting the oxygen mask on the patient and assuring him that he knows what to do as he is a doctor. :scream:

I thought it was unprofessional of Nick reprimanding Greg for complaining that he was given less important cases in the presence of other colleagues. Why is Nick defending Langston especially he had known and worked with Greg for a very long time? As usual the Paragon of Virtue offered to take over Greg’s case – which almost brought tears to my eyes. :shifty:

If only Riley had told the truth in her report that it was not Catherine’s
    leadership that brought down the ratings but Langston’s character. Maybe we fans of CSI might forgive the producers for a disastrous Season 9. So they brought Sara in to endorse Langston - “I like his attitude” and I think they went a bit too far drumming in repeatedly that Sara and Grissom are married.

Doc. Robbin disarming the gun welding man with his crutches and shouting security was a kind of déjà vu. I remember an exact scene in an earlier season but I did enjoy scenes between the original cast especially between Nick and Gerg when they found Little Stevie. I wonder who casted Brian Tee who played Olivia Hamilton’s boyfriend, he had only one face expression throughout the whole episode. Even my pet goldfish has more expressions! :guffaw:

At the end when Langston found something in a cadaver that he and Robbin was handling, the truth is that I don’t give a hoot. I am not the least intrigued to find out.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wonder why they cut it out. That's kind of weird. :lol: Maybe it'll be included on the Season 10 DVD set when it comes out next year. :)

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I remember seeing a promo shot of Ray shaking hands with Sara (or something to that effect) which we didn't see either. I'm assuming they got cut for time restraints. I do hope they have the deleted scenes on the DVD. I am grateful that they kept at least the Greg/Sara greeting intact. Those two were always the closest.

13. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I got really curious as to Riley's exit interview and I was able to read the document Catherine was reading. Here's what it said:

Riley Adams stated that she was resigning so that she could accept a law enforcement position in the Midwest that offers more opportunities for advancement.

Adams stated that she found it frustrating to be a member of the grave shift because "the team suffers from a lack of cohesion. There is no team unity, no leadership, and poor communication. There are many talented individuals but they are too often more concerned with persuing their separate investigative agendas than with integrating themselves into a tightly coordinated unit. Another factor that cannot be ignored is the ineffective leadership of the supervisor, Catherine Willows. Willows is brilliant, determined, experienced and passionate about her work, but has a problem delegating clear lines of responsibility among team members which leads to a duplication of work, wasted time and interpersonal conflict."

I think that was a well balanced idea of where the 'team' fell apart last year, as it was bound to with the loss of three key members. Anyone new walking into that situation would have found it hard to deal with, I think. Anyway, it looks like Riley is moving on to bigger and better things and that was a quick/subtle way to wrap that up.

I was really worried about how Sara was going to come in and show Catherine another side of leadership, but really I'm impressed and pleased with how it transpired. It seems that Sara has really benefited from her time away, she's so much happier (I said to a friend that she smiled more in one episode than she did in two seasons!) and has a different perspective on things. She didn't march in and tell Catherine what was wrong or what to do, which is basically what I was afraid would happen. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved to find out my worries were unncessary :D

I really like how this episode was well balanced with the case and with the personal interactions. I hope they keep it up!

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Actually, that's pretty accurate. I'm not sure it's Catherine's fault, given how quickly the team lost members, but she would've had difficulty establishing lines of responsibility. After all, she was always challenging Grissom by reminding him that she could do his job. She could, but a big part of that job is delegating, and I can see her having difficulty with that. Sara gently reminded her of this, which is why Catherine promoted Nick. Pretty good, really!

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

Re: My thoughts on Season 10 premier...

Shouldn't this post be in the "Family Affair" thread? We already have a thread devoted to the season premiere. It's superfluous to start another one.

I'm sorry you don't like Fishburne's character; there's been plenty of discussion about that already. But the reality is that the powers that be brought in a star because I think they believed they needed someone of Petersen's stature as a focal point. I'm not sure I agree with the decision, but I do understand it, and I also like the way Ray was introduced and integrated with the cast. Others don't, and that's fine. I didn't expect to continue watching "CSI" after Petersen left, but surprisingly, I found myself enjoying the series and feeling that it got a nice shot in the arm . . . though the last few episodes of last season weren't as strong. However, I did enjoy this season premiere and am hoping it bodes well for how the rest of the season progresses.