Criminal Minds #4: We Take Care Of Our Own!

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Yeah that was mentioned a while back at that time, they were bringing in someone else, it wasn't said if they would take over JJ's job, or if they would be an agent as well (ie like Todd was), that part was left wide open. The only thing that was for sure is that the person they brought in wouldn't be replacing the actress (like one see's on soaps) and calling them JJ. But rather implying that said person would deal with the media. Apparently now they are going in a different direction at least at this time.

Which in a way is alot better, for the show, giving fans as well as cast/characters time to adjust.

Hey I didn't get a chance to put a spoiler tag in remembered it after the fact ouch, so that is why I edited your post, just wanted to let you know incase you thought you did something and thought utoh and oh crap. :D ;)

2. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I loved the episode. I really did. I think that out of all of the ways you could send a character off, this was the best option. I also think that the way it was written- JJ literally being forced out of a job she loves, much like AJ was forced out of a job she loves- was almost like a letter of condolence to the fans. Yes, the writers and everyone else really were as upset as we all were. And if you need proof of that, you need only watch how just plain good the "acting" was surrounding JJ's departure. Every single member of the team looked truly upset. Why? Because they were. This team is the closest thing to a family that unrelated people can get. They'll survive the loss, but at the same time, JJ was the one constant. She was that one person that could calm everyone down and sympathize with everyone, and while, as a family, the team will get through, it's not going to be easy.

Sorry, that was a bit of a long rant.

electra, what made you realize that?

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

JJ was a truly sad, unfortunate episode :(. I say unfortunate not because it wasn't a good episode but because IMO it didn't have to happen; JJ didn't have to go :scream:. I too loved that they did it in a way that voiced the frustration over AJ leaving. Garcia's scene at the end had me in tears and you just knew that they were truly saying goodbye and not just JJ and Garcia. Loved Prentiss' hair, loved Hotch and how conflicted he was throughout the whole episode. This will take some getting used to :(.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I thought the writers were really sticking it to CBS and I loved that. And Reid's line "they can't just take you away from us". *sob*

I loved Rossi's line to JJ about how you'd think profilers would be better at hiding the fact that they were totally watching Hotch's office for signs of what was going on behind closed doors. :lol:

It bugged me that Penelope was the only one who got a hug. Hotch shakes JJ's hand? What the heck? Why no hug? Reid only gets a pat on the arm? Huh? I don't understand why the writers didn't have her hug everyone as she left like CSI: Miami's writers did for Alexx on her last episode.

"Let It Be Me" by Ray LaMontagne. I LOVE that song!

Someone somewhere in the episode said something about how JJ belongs there with the team and I thought "darn right she does" and I almost sobbed. And Penelope's line of "don't they understand this is a family" made me teary-eyed.

I loved JJ's line to the girl's father of how she likes to think their late son was looking out for their daughter.

Poor Spencer looked like he was about to cry and Penelope bawling made me so sad.

The case did remind me of Natalee Holloway.

I was prepared to hate Strauss in this episode, but it sounded like the decision even went way above her and that she wasn't able to stop it... so it's kind of hard to hate her for JJ being forced to leave the team.

I hated that JJ was forced to leave... that someone can just say "you're going to come work for us whether you like it or not", but I loved that it mirrored what went on behind the scenes with AJ being forced to leave her second family. I liked that JJ stated at the end that this isn't what she wants, but she'll take the high road because that's basically what AJ did too.

Was Reid taking something for Lactose-intolerance? Him saying he was feeling sick, I wondered if that was the writers way of saying having to write JJ out made them feel sick.

Oh, Matty! *hugs*

There are also rumors that this character may become a love interest for Reid. I hope not because I think Reid should date someone who does not work for the FBI. Maybe a librarian or something. :lol: Then they could talk about books. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I really want to hate Strauss, because Emily clearly hates her, but then she's sympathetic and I just can't do it.

I do find it amusing that Emily keeps the antacid on her desk. With this job, she's probably the honorary monitor to make sure that no one takes too much. :lol:

I was a bit confused about the hugs, too, but I didn't mind them so much because of the looks on the actors' faces through the entire thing. You can tell that every time they say "they," it actually means CBS.

6. electra

electra Pathologist

I so agree with all the comments.JJ has never been my favorite but she is a vital part of the Criminal Minds family .Garcia line about being so awesome and not really knowing it was perfect for her.I just realized how much I am going to miss her.I also felt like the actors were sad to let AJ go and it shows.That is why the episode was so intense.

Alex,I do mean that you like snark and Emily and Rossi are good at that too.

7. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Any episode where real life is writing the plot, a lot of emotion is based on real life. I think that's what makes episodes like this so emotional- the emotions are real. It was a fantastic episode on all accounts, which is actually a bit interesting, since the entire episode was "here's the bad guys; make them confess."

Yep, you're absolutely right about that. My favorite line of the episode was the one where Rossi's making fun of the team for being terrible, terrible liars. :D

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I really like the episode just because of JJ. I'm not much engaged to the case but it is a good one. I think the episode really shows how the writers, cast and staff behind Criminal Minds feel about CBS stupid decision. The lines "she's irrepleacable," "we're a family," "she's a vital part of the team," etc. also reflect the fans sentiment about AJ's departure. I like JJ's final words. They're sad but very inspiring.

:(

Great song too...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Am I the only one who thought there was something a little... off about Emily in the beginning of the episode? This exchange:

E: I don't think it's about the case.
    G: Do you know something?
    E: Do I know something?
    G: She just repeated the question. You always say that's a sign.
    M: Do you know why JJ's in there?
    E: I have no idea.

It just felt odd to me. I don't even know what felt odd. It's almost like I couldn't help but wonder if she was lying, but I don't know why she would be...

(Side note: Absolutely loved the look Em gave Reid when he wondered if JJ asked for a raise.)

10. electra

electra Pathologist

^She did not have a quick comeback but she was still Emily to me.I wanted a longer scene with JJ but I am glad that Gracia would make sure that they stay close.

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

AH yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing when watching the end.
    And it was great. And that they took time for goodbyes, not just last minute but more.

Too many from too many shows (kicked or left willingly) missing shows this autumn (CM, CSI, CSI NY)

It just sucks.

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Our local CBS station this season is showing Criminal Minds at 10:30 and NUMB3RS at 11:30 on Saturday and Sunday nights. They're showing both shows from the beginning. I was watching the episode that aired last night and I was thinking how Giddeon isn't there now, Elle isn't there now, and now JJ is gone. It made me wonder which character will be next: Garcia, Hotch, Morgan, Prentiss, Reid, Rossi? If this show continues another 4-6 years there may not be any original characters left. Well, long as the stories are good and the characters that are on are interesting then I guess I can deal with it.

I loved that episode "JJ". Although the music at the end made me want to cry. The episode also pissed me off. JJ got a good bye scene where she got to say good bye to everyone. In the CSI: Miami season 6 episode "Rock And A Hard Place" Alexx got 2 good bye scenes: one with Horatio then one walking through the lab hugging everyone as she came up on them on her way to the elevator. But on CSI: NY does Stella get a good bye scene? NO. All we get is a note to Lindsay from her. :klingon:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Prentiss will be the next to go. Paget has stated that this is her last season with the show. I'm hoping CBS will change their minds and bring AJ back and let Paget stay.

Stella didn't get a goodbye scene because Melina wouldn't film one. Whatever happened behind the scenes made her decide she didn't want to even film a goodbye episode. The writers had already had around six episodes written before Melina's contract meeting. Then Melina decided she didn't want to renew and didn't want to film anything else for the show, so the writers had to re-write all of those episodes (not an easy task). We will probably never know the real reason she left.

14. Half

Half CSI Level Two

*pouts* Don't mention that upcoming event, GNRF. It just makes me sad. I refuse to believe it until it actually happens, because I will be the unhappiest fan since those of Firefly. Seriously.

I started watching in Season 3, so Gideon leaving and Elle being gone never bothered me. Even when I went back and watched S2, Gideon leaving didn't bother me, because I've always preferred Rossi's Sarcastic Jerk With A Heart Of Gold over Gideon's Guilt Ridden Occasional Jerk Who Gets People Killed.

Well, we have to admit that they still could've done a better sendoff to Stella... the one they did kind of sucked.

15. electra

electra Pathologist

I am also in denial with Emily.She is so perfect for this team and works so good with everyone that is going to suck losing her.And I am not even going to talk about Vegas a s you can see.