Forensics Questions

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Alyssa, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Re: fibers/ washing the mouth

Ok, I have an absolutely bizarre question, but I thought I'd ask it here.

So, people like to try to use Bleach to clean up blood, but the CSIs can always find it anyway, right? What if they used Boric Acid? Would that be any different? Because, I'm always told that Boric Acid is better at destroying mold than Bleach, but I just wonder if it would be any different on blood...

Yes, I'm aware I sound like a psycho, but in my family, mold is evil.

2. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I'm just starting a general forensics questions thread because I know I'm going to have more questions. :)

Thanks for the help on my other Q, but here are a few new ones:

If someone was simultaneously strangled while suffering anaphylaxis, would it be easy to mis-diagnose the cause of death as asphyxiation due to strangulation rather than asphyxiation in combination of strangulation and anaphylaxis?

I know, in other cases ("11 Angry Jurors") the good doc was able to determine that anaphylaxis was the cause of death, but could one misinterpret the data the first time around due to the classic signs of strangulation?

If you're wondering why I'm so caught up in this, part of it is for something I'm writing. The other part is because I, myself, am allergic to peanuts, and I'm curious (not that I expect anyone to strangle me in the near-future).

That's all for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

3. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Well, if you recall, Alyssa, the cause of death was a bee sting, not peanuts.

4. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Right. But, I'm wondering, in specific about whether or not one could misdiagnose, noticing only strangulation and not the anaphylaxis.

And, yes, I remember that it was a bee sting. It's just the only episode I could recall with anaphylaxis as cause of death. So, that means Doc Robbins can diagnose it. What I'm wondering, is if it would be possible to miss the anaphylaxis if someone was simultaeously strangled.

5. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

It's a definite possibility, Alyssa.

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

arent there chemicals released when someone goes into anaphylactic shock? so even though it may not physically obvious during autopsy wouldnt a tox screen find it?

7. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

New question: Could Hodges identify what article of clothing a fabric came from? For example, a jacket. Say the jacket were specialty, exposed to an isolated chemical. Could he figure that out? Thanks!

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

The material itself might not identify it, since fabrics are sold to many clothes makers. But the clothes comes in contact with dry cleaning chemicals, perfumes, food bits, saliva, air particles, pollen, and other items to make it unique. But it might depend upon how much of a sample or fiber that Hodges has to work with. Just a guess here.

9. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Hmm.. Thanks for that. And Happy Birthday!

How about this, would he be able to identify, based on fibers, what type of clothing (shirt, blouse, skirt, glove, sock) he was looking at? Like, by the threading and type of material?

I know these seem like dumb questions, but I'm working on something, and trying to make it as accurate as possible. Thanks. :)

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked. We all learn by asking. My dad, who passed away about 20 years ago, was in the textile business and might have been able to answer this, but I did not follow in his footsteps.

11. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i dont think there are many fibres unique to one piece of clothing. many materials are used for pants, tops, jackets or dresses. unless the sample contains characteristics of the piece of clothing (like the type of stiching, hemming, zippers or fasteners) those could help identify what type of clothing the sample came from.
    maybe if you got into higher end fabrics and clothing. good pants have liners, and the patterns you see on nice tops usually arent found on pants too.

12. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Thanks Dynamo1 and allmaple.

New question. (I know, I ask a lot of questions).

When the coroner cleans off a corpse (washes it down), do they wash inside the mouth? I've only ever see them washing the head, limbs, torso, etc on the show. I've never seen them wash inside a mouth. Do they? Thanks!

13. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

They wont wash the mouth before they are positive nothing is left in it. usually, the mouth will be full of trace, so it's the last part they'll wash. (sorry if I'm wrong, but it's what I remember from class...)

14. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

thegluups: But they still would wash it out before proceeding with cutting the corpse open for the autopsy? I'm just trying to understand the order in which things are done.

15. Guest

Guest Guest