The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Over the holidays I saw Ghost Protocol, Sherlock and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I got a lot of movie cards as gifts! :lol:

Anyway, all were enjoyable, although I'd say MI4: Ghost protocol was the most entertaining. It may be because I saw it in IMAX... plus Jeremy Renner was amazing. Sherlock next, although it's nowhere near as good as the first one. Dragon Tattoo was fine, but it was honestly not much different than the Swedish version, so... ? I did like Daniel Craig's performance better than the Swedish actor's- or maybe he just fit the "handsome middle aged" character role better for me than the unappealing Swedish actor in the original film, (compared to what I had imagined in my head from reading the book); not really sure. Craig was good though, either way. The opening credits were really cool though! I do think that the commercial just made it so much more exciting looking than it ended up being. Although I have to admit though that I haven't really shared in all the hype over these books- I read the first one and just thought it was OK. There was honestly very little that surprised me in it, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

2. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

"J.Edgar": Really boring, total waste of time and money!

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I saw The Descendants last night. If you are into family dramas, this one is a must see. I thought it was wonderful. Great performances from the entire cast.

4. ForestAngel

ForestAngel Witness

I watched Forrest Gump and loved it

5. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

You probably said out loud, "Hey look!! There's Lt. Dan!! :lol:

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with the family the other night. I've certainly seen it before, but we were on a bit of a sci-fi kick so we decided to put it in.

I have to say, the movie itself is good, but I always feel like it's a bit slow in places (especially during the space probe scenes) and I'm slightly unimpressed that the entire plot of the movie revolved around a 15-second communication between Humpback whales telling some alien space probe to stop killing the planet with its unintentional epic-ness. Probably refreshing for some, but it felt a bit stale for me as there was not much depth to the threat being that it would have been (implied) accidental annihilation rather than motivated behaviour.

Maybe it would have made more of an impact on me as a viewer had the antagonist been someone/something intentionally rendering the human race extinct as a parallel (and wakeup call) to the extinctions we're causing ourselves on our own planet, and the so-called saviour was a species we had previously hunted to extinction--ie: the whales. Perhaps that was the whole point, minus the intentional part? :lol: We're at times blind to our own actions and so forth. It was probably trying to be deep and I missed it somewhere along the way; I'm too used to literal 'in your face' messages we get these days. :lol:

Also, one more qualm...I know time travel is a rather convenient plot device that Star Trek often uses, but couldn't they just go back to a time when the Federation had working vessels (where the probe hadn't shown up yet) and then proceed to make use of a working ship to go back to the 1980s and save the whales rather than using a broken ship during the entire movie and hoping their plans worked out? And had the plan somehow failed while using a Federation ship, couldn't they just keep going back in time, since the past seems to be a constant in time travel?

Yeah, I thought too much about this one. :lol: Either way, decent enough movie for Star Trek.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Dolphin Tale - I really liked this movie. It was charming and had a good message... and I just love dolphins. There were several places where I chuckled too. Good movie. It does have some tear jerking moments in it, but is mostly an uplifting, feel good movie. :)

8. ForestAngel

ForestAngel Witness

Nope lol

Just had to watch Ransom

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

You'd probably like Big Miracle. I saw it last weekend. It's a nice family movie about a whale rescue. Based on a true story, it's entertaining. And Ted Danson, aka DB, is in it. :)

10. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, but I'm waiting till it comes out to rent cause I don't like to get teary in public, which is why I waited and rented Dolphin Tale, even though I kind of wanted to see it in 3D lol.

11. 915

915 CSI Level One

I saw Sherlock Holmes 2 last month or two. I was very entertained actually loved it even more then the first! Granted I like the mystery elements of the first better, but two was very good had an awesome plot.

12. BabaOReilly

I just saw John Carter (3D) and it was surprisingly entertaining! And worth seeing in 3D, unlike so many other live action (vrs animated) films. The story was a lot more complex then I expected, as were the characters. Really, a fun film to see on the big screen.

13. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

I saw John Carter also. I had sooo much fun watching this movie, especially in 3D! i recommend it :)

14. GregNickRyanFan

Chasing Leprechauns - Hallmark channel movie - I've had this recorded since St. Paddy's Day, but was busy that day and just got around to watching it the other day. It starred Adrian Pasdar (Nathan from Heroes). I got to thinking, you know he could probably play Nick's brother on CSI. They kind of look similar. Anyway, the movie was cute. I was a little disappointed that they didn't show any leprechauns, but it was a cute movie. It had a few funny parts too. :)

Leprechaun's Revenge - syfy channel movie - This one was okay I guess, but that sure didn't look like a leprechaun to me... it looked more like a gremlin or goblin or something.
    It kind of sucked that pretty much everyone but the one girl dies in it... well, except you are left with not knowing for sure if the grandfather was dead or just badly wounded. He told her to go after the creature as he was laying there on the ground bleeding. Then she trapped the creature and the movie was over. They never went back to the grandfather to show if he lived or not. That was kind of annoying.
    By the way, Billy Zane and William Devane were in this movie. They were the father and grandfather of the main girl. I have no idea who she was. Don't think I've ever seen her before.

15. BabaOReilly

The Hunger Games, finally. And it was very... long.
    :lol: