Khandi Alexander Departs CSI: Miami

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Wojo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. CSI_CSIMiamifan

CSI_CSIMiamifan Prime Suspect

i'll miss alexx/khandi! the show just wont be the same without her.

best of wishes to khandi though. good luck!

2. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

OH NO! This is HORRIBLE news!! :( :wtf: Not that I didn't think it would come, b/c she's been TOTALLY UNDERUTILIZED, but she's such an anchor for the team. I remember the "good ol' days," like the time that Speed and Eric "lost the body" & Alexx helped them find it - they always found ways to make her character interesting and playful, etc, while dealing w/such a difficult job.

Personally I don't think TPTB should add any new regulars to the cast. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There's too many freakin' people on this show. I love Frank and Nat, but when they became regulars the show really started to go down hill. Basically, TPTB trying to get everyone good amounts of screentime, but someone's bound to suffer. Unfortunately Alexx got the shaft the last couple of years, and I don't blame Khandi for wanting out. The show has lost that "team" feel and has really gone in the wrong direction, IMHO, especially w/H being so removed from the team. :rolleyes:

I hope TPTB realize they have to do SOMETHING FAST if they want to maintain their audience - like getting the team back together as a team. I personally don't like the direction the show is going, and I have to wonder if Khandi doesn't either.

This is just really hard b/c she's been part of it from the beginning and I LOVE how she brings a lightness and a "mom" feel to the team. I don't think they should make the new coronor a regular - can't they just rotate people? (I think that's what they do in CSI:NY, after Hill Harper's character moved up to be a CSI, right?)

Anyway, Khandi, we're all gonna miss you terribly. Especially b/c of her connection w/Speed - it just sucks to lose another cast member. I really hope TPTB don't screw up her exit - and maybe she'll come back for a few eps or something? Such sad news. Ouch. :(

3. only_true_love

only_true_love Lab Technician

This is such sad news.:(:(:( I understand why she is leaving. Her character is completely under appreciated. I agree thought that I hope that when ever she leaves (if it is at the end of this season) that they give her a good story line. It will be very hard to replace her. I dod wish her the best of luck!

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

This is the first time I have ever really felt sorry for Ryan. His relationship w/ Alexx was always nice & I cant imagine how it will affect him when she goes, if they even play off of it.:rolleyes: She always stuck by him & supported him no matter what stupid thing he did so I will miss that interaction. I always thought Alexx could bring out the best in him.

I understand why Khandi would want to leave, but the way I see it is there are always going to be members of any cast who are placed there to be sort of background characters just like the ME's on Vegas & NY...even the labrats were meant to take the backseat on all the shows. To me they were placed there to do that particular job, unfortunatly, not to have real character development.
    I always favored Alexx more than the other ME's from the other shows, & I felt like she was more a part of the team than the other ME's, but I could see where maybe it wasn't the intentions of the producers for her character (or any other background character) to take the spotlight.
    Maybe it was just time that Khandi wanted to do more & knew her character couldn't "grow" on this show.
    Its a shame, because I like all the characters, but my focus when watching is more on the cases, & the CSI's (H, Cal, Eric, Ryan, Nat).

I will miss Alexx & I hope Khandi goes on to do something where her talent can be better acknowledged. Wherever she goes, I will watch for her.:)

5. doublehelix

doublehelix Police Officer

I tend to dismiss the argument that there are too many characters on the show. In previous seasons there were the losses of Meagan, Speedle, and a hodge podge of various detectives that came and went. Since then we've added Ryan, Natalia, and Frank. So character wise we're pretty much at the same level now as we were then.

I do tend agree with some posters that her character has been underutilized and has not seen much in the way of development. She had some better balance in the "Deep Freeze" episode but that was pretty much it. This past season it has been, for the most part, the Calleigh & Horatio Show.

I wish her luck and do hope she finds something that takes better advantage of her talents.

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I'm going to miss her, too. I enjoyed her on News Radio and CSI: Miami. As Alexx Woods, she was sweet as Khandi. (Sorry about that, folks.)

7. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

doublehelix:
    I agree that there always were a lot of actors working on the show, but there were never more than six regulars (in the credits) from Seasons 1-4 - now there's seven. (In seasons 1 &2, for the most part, there were only five regulars - the CSIs and Alexx, so there was much more room for those characters to grow. There was no obligation to make sure this detective or that lab rat got three scenes per ep b/c they weren't regulars.)

I think it's better when there's rotating detectives and not the same old same old every week. (I'd hope the new coronor would just pop in now and again, or rotate between a couple of actors - he or she doesn't have to be a regular).

When you have seven people that you HAVE to give screen time to, someone is bound to suffer, and in this case it was Alexx. It's the fact that they have an obligation to fit everyone into at least two or three scenes a week, but they don't group them together - they have all these two-character scenes now. So the team seems really disjointed, and it's like playing this game - "Will Calleigh be in the end of the episode b/c she was in three scenes in the beginning?" or "Will Ryan show up in the first 20 mins.?"

The show just feels too crowded to me, especially w/all these recurring cast members they're adding, like Kyle and Julia, etc. And then you've got Stetler and Jake (well, who knows if he'll be back) and occassionally Yelina. So it's a pretty freakin' big cast. And it never felt that way to me in Seasons 1-3.

In the end, Alexx got the short end of the stick. I always felt her character was more connected to the CSIs and was brought in to do more than just a 2 min. autopsy scene. When they dropped Meghan in Season 1, that left five strong regulars who carried the show well w/a few supporting actors. Alexx had a chance to shine b/c of this. Now it's kind of a mish-mosh and the team just doesn't feel like a team.

I don't know what the CSIs (especially poor Ryan, who keeps getting screwed :( ) are going to do w/out their "Team Mom". I just hope she gets the nice exit that she deserves - she's earned it, sticking it out this long.

8. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

Thanks! I've been a fan since way before he moved into NASCAR.

*coughs* Back, on topic now...:alienblush:

Agreed completely, although with the way the writing has been on this show over the last few seasons, I'm really doubtful that will happen. Here's hoping they surprise me.

9. hahaguy

hahaguy Rookie

off topic but thumpy love ur avatar go red soxs lol

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

well, in all fairness to tptb, she did get way more screen time than any of the other corners. None of them get much, that is just the way the show is...its about the CSI's. *shrugs*

11. katelynn

katelynn Lab Technician

I feel bad that she's leaving
    but I have to be honest, she wasn't my favourite character on the show,
    but she DID make the show what it was - to an extent.

Whatever she decides to tackle next I hope she does well and I wish her nothing but the best.

12. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I am very sorry to hear that she is leaving the show but at the same time I do understand that there is not too much of any screentime for the coroner's. I have too followed her from NewsRadio as well as ER (she played Benton's sister). I hope she finds some work elsewhere where they will be able to use her talents.

13. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

Apologies in advance for the off-topicness Geni and Wyoming. ;)

Thank you so much! :)

14. luf100

luf100 Coroner

This is kind of sad, I can't imagine anyone else but Alexx as an ME, especially if it's a male! :O

But I guess if they weren't using Khandi's talent for more than a few minutes on every episode it's not worth it for her. :(

15. EnglandOnMyMind9

EnglandOnMyMind9 Victim

It's sad to see Khandi go. Alexx really is the most underated character in the show. I hope she will find something so that her talents aren't wasted.