Gary #8: Chicago's Finest

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Jade_Nolan, Sep 1, 2011.

?

new thread title

Poll closed Sep 15, 2011.
  1. Time stands still when you're having fun!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Chicago's finest

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. We steal toasters too!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. We are Gary's girls

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Women have reckless crushes on him..who, us?! nooo...*nods* yes

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

The explanation makes sense to me. It's called contracoup, if I have the right term. Force from behind makes the brain hit the front of the skull, in a case like this. Though I don't think it's quite as bad that way as if it's actual blunt force trauma like a hit. But I probably only know because I'm always watching Discovery Health LOL

Anyway, yikes...it did have to be scary. Good thing he wasn't badly hurt. And less important, good that filming was done...not sure how they'd have managed things with him resting afterward.

Like the pics :D

The Twitter announced the seemingly annual Joe's concert here...man I wish I could get there one year.

2. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I've just been checking the poll options and I have a question about one.

Where did the title come from: We steal toasters too!

3. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

From 'True West', one of the epic-est things Gary ever did :D

If you don't know about it, 'True West' is a play written by Sam Shepard in 1980 that Gary hounded Shepard's publicist for to get the rights to produce it at Steppenwolf. In 1982 he finally received permission, and a hallmark in theatre performance was born. The play is about two very dysfunctional brothers. The younger is Austin (Gary), a playwright still trying to make it big and get his break; the older is Lee (John Malkovich), a lowlife, drunk and petty thief. The two haven't seen each other in five years when Lee suddenly shows up at their mother's house where Austin is attempting to work on a screenplay that he hopes will finally get a producer's approval. To say that Lee turns Austin's life upside down with blinding speed is an understatement.

The specific reference to stealing toasters comes from about half-way through the play when Lee has successfully swooped in and essentially snatched Austin's finally approved screenplay away, having played and entranced Austin's producer into liking his story for a movie better. Saul (the producer) offered to keep going with Austin's screenplay only if Austin agreed to write Lee's as well. Austin refuses, and these clips pick up the next scene after that. The brothers have essentially switched places - Lee now being the one who's trying to write a screenplay while Austin gets drunk and throws back all the taunts and snide comments that Lee did when he first arrived.

http://youtu.be/P1zy_LDf6aI

http://youtu.be/SXYV2XJ5JT0

This is the acting Gary I love, the one who shows the incredible range and talent he has, the one who makes me so wish that more than anything he'd perform at Steppenwolf again.... I have watched and listened (I made an mp3 of the audio of TW) to this play so much that I have the entire thing memorized. And when Gary as Mac says something with a same inflection or exact parallel as something from 'True West' (I've dubbed such things "Austin channeling" :D ), I *squeeee* a little bit :lol:

Anyway, the entire play is on Youtube, and I would more than highly recommend its viewing. Mind you, the quality is relatively poor as the only time it was filmed was for PBS in 1984 and it's only been released once on VHS way back then... Still, it's priceless, and you should go watch it!

Austin: "I'm going to go out, and I'm going to steal me a toaster!"

4. taylorgirl

taylorgirl Lab Technician

Post deleted by me as Jade posted the same thing at the same time :lol:

And yes, our lovely Jade posted it all on YouTube and I highly recommend it to. It's a great film and I couldn't stop laughing all the way cause it's a funny film and you get to see silly Gary :D

5. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Hey, it's Austin, of course I'm going to post about him :lol: :adore: Although I'm not sure I'd call it silly Gary (as I think the play is actually kinda tragic and Austin's overall character and character progression really sad and heartbreaking), that's more like Mr. Morgan in 'It's the Rage' :guffaw::guffaw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

But drunk Gary in a performance is ALWAYS priceless, and there's quite a bit of that in True West :D Not to mention in the last scene he's incredibly hot with his completely unbuttoned shirt...!!! :drool::drool::drool:

6. MacsGirlMel

LOL and for me, a bonus is the Game Boy. Wouldn't mind getting an old one for a few games. Too bad he can't come with it LOLOL

7. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

I haven't seen the Rage and after seeing those pics I'm not sure I'll want to! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

But True West is one of my most favourite films ever! :bolian: It's me favourite of Gary's and generally! :D

I completely agree with you and your synopsis about plot of True West was perfect too ;)

To me it's pure magic! As are these pisc! :hugegrin:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!
    :drool::drool::drool:

8. MacsGirlMel

What are those from? Boy he was young there. I never saw him with hair like that before, I don't think.

9. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

you're right, he is young. If I remember correctly, he was mid, possibly late 20s. I want to say 24, but that'd be just flat-out guessing.

10. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

If my calculations are true Gary was in True West about 27 years old (1982). So yeah, he looks young, I actually thought he was even younger there. :lol:

And yeah that super cute curly hair.... :adore:

Jade do you have better information about this? :lol: :D

11. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

he does look about 18 :p

12. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I do actually! You guys aren't far off, because while he was 27 in 1982 when he took the production to NY, this was filmed in '84 making him 29 in those stills. And yes, he looks barely 20 through most of it once the glasses get ditched after the first half.

And you would have had to post the stills that make me sit and stare while unable to breath...! :drool: :devil: :drool: :devil: :drool: :devil: :drool:

Oh, and MacsGirlMel, those stills are from the last scene of True West ;)

13. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

Haha hey I got quite near! :lol: 29 wow! He really looks to be around his early twenties... :drool::drool::drool:

I actually liked those glasses, but yes he's better off! :D

"Naturally" I had to post these specific stills... they tend to do the same for me! :devil::lol::drool:

14. graceg17

graceg17 Civilian

I know I am very new to most of you because I do not ever post on here, however I have been a member of this board for awhile now. I just had to make a post because I saw Gary and his band at Joe's Bar on Friday and it was FANTASTIC! He looked so delicious!:drool:
    No one else (including my husband) understands why I have such an obsession with Gary:adore:, but I KNOW you guys would! I just had to tell someone about the experience!

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Cool!!! I wish there were pictures from his concerts at Joe's bar.

EDIT: It's okay if no one understands, because Gary is a special guy.