Recalled items

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dynamo1, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

After the recent recalls of cell phone batteries, laptop batteries, and canned meat products, I thought maybe we should have a thread just for various product recalls.

-=-=-=-=-

If you know anyone with a Ford built betwen 1991 and 2004, there is a list of specific models being "voluntarily" recalled at Ford.com.

Ford is conducting a voluntary safety recall involving speed control deactivation switch systems in 3.6 million vehicles.

The service action involves the installation of a fused wiring harness into the speed control electrical circuit, or the replacement of the deactivation switch if it is found to be leaking. This is a quick repair, and will be performed on vehicles built between 1992 and 2003.

Ford dealers will provide this service to all affected vehicles at no charge to the customers. The company has a sufficient supply of parts to service the affected trucks. The supply of parts to service the affected cars is expected to be available in early October. Owners of all affected vehicles will be notified by mail.

While these vehicles are not subject to the systems interaction issues affecting vehicles in the prior recall populations, Ford is taking this action to address continued customer concerns about the potential for fires in their vehicles. We cannot be confident in the long term durability of the speed control deactivation switches.

-=-=-=-=-

Fisher-Price, in cooperation with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Nickelodeon and Sesame Street painted toys produced by one specific contract manufacturer during a narrow timeframe. The recalled products were sold in retail stores nationwide since May 1, 2007. Paint on affected products contains lead in excess of permissible levels.

Lead is toxic if ingested and can cause adverse health effects.

Product list

-=-=-=-=-

Sony has recalled over a hundred thousand units of its Cyber-shot DSC-T5 digital cameras because of a structural defect that may cut users' hands, the company said.

The exact number of the recalled cameras will be about 416,000, with about 350,000 sold in North America, Europe, and China, according to the Associated Press.

The recall, whose notice was posted on Sony's support page, claims that cameras with the serial numbers between 3500001 and 3574100 could "experience peeling and warping of the metal coating on the bottom of the camera that could result in a slight cut or scratch to the user's skin". The serial number is at the bottom of the Cyber-shot camera.

Sony identified an irregularity during the initial part production, regarding the adhesive strength of the metal coating on the part, the company said.

Sony Electronics Support

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Phew, I read that and got worried. :lol:

I have the Sony Cybershot camera but my model is DSC-H2. :p

3. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Damn, I guess this means I have to return my beloved Elmo stacking rings :( :lol:

It's sad though to see all this stuff getting recalled lately, especially kid's toys. It makes you think it's not safe to buy anything anymore if you can't even buy your kid a toy of their favorite Sesame Street character without worrying about lead ingestion :rolleyes:

4. dstined4gr8ness

dstined4gr8ness Police Officer

Got scared for a minute there. That is not something you want to read two days before you go on a 1200 mile road trip ;)

5. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Hell yeah. That whole pet food recall thing was so scary. My mom recently found some food in our house that was on the list but luckily we never gave my cat any of it. The list was like a mile long too. D:

6. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

I remember about a year ago, a certain batch of Peter Pan peanut butter was recalled. I had just recently switched peanut butter to that brand, and with my luck I just happened to get a jar from the bad batch (I didn't know this till after). So I ate some, and then the next day I felt like I had a virus, and found out I had food poisoning..which I later found out was salmonella....ugh it was horrible. It lasted a few days, and then I found out about the recall, and we threw out the can.

7. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

That pet food recall scared me half to death. I couldn't stop hugging my bow-wow. Thank god we never got the stuff.

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

My friend and I were also victums of the peanute butter recall. Just thought we had both gotten the same sickness but came to find out the tanited stuff came fromt eh new jar my mom bought at Wal-Mart. Kind of reminds me of the spiked Tylonel in the late 80's.

9. obsession_360

obsession_360 Coroner

some of the toys that i gave to my baby brother who is just 6 months old, i had to take away from him cause i found out that the paint that they used in the production, which was from europe, contained lead. when i heard about the diego doll being recalled, i asked my grandmother to drive me over to my mom's house and we instantly threw them out. i have never seen a 6 month old have a big hissy fit lol. but i was looking out for him.

10. OscarMayerLemur

OscarMayerLemur Police Officer

11. Dynamo1

Mattel to recall more Chinese-made toys
    By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer
    Tue Aug 14, 2:35 AM ET

NEW YORK - Less than two weeks after Mattel Inc. recalled 1.5 million Chinese-made toys because of lead paint, the toy industry is bracing for another blow that could give parents more reason to rethink their purchases just before the critical holiday shopping season.

Mattel is set to announce the recall of another toy involving a different Chinese supplier as early as Tuesday, according to three people close to the matter who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Full story at Yahoo/AP News

12. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I guess this could go here :p

Product Advisory: Nokia BL-5C battery

Dear Nokia Customer,

This is a product advisory for the Nokia-branded BL-5C battery manufactured by Matsushita Battery Industrial Co. Ltd. of Japan between December 2005 and November 2006. This product advisory does not apply to any other Nokia battery.

Nokia has identified that in very rare cases the affected batteries could potentially experience over heating initiated by a short circuit while charging, causing the battery to dislodge. Nokia is working closely with relevant local authorities to investigate this situation.

Nokia has several suppliers for BL-5C batteries that have collectively produced more than 300 million BL-5C batteries. This advisory applies only to the 46 million batteries manufactured by Matsushita between December 2005 and November 2006. There have been approximately 100 incidents of over heating reported globally. No serious injuries or property damage have been reported.

Consumers with a BL-5C battery subject to this advisory should note that all of the approximately 100 incidents have occurred while charging the battery. According to Nokia's knowledge this issue does not affect any other use of the mobile device. Concerned consumers may want to monitor a mobile device while charging that contains a BL-5C battery subject to this product advisory.

While the occurrence in the BL-5C batteries produced by Matsushita in the time-period specified is very rare, for consumers wishing to do so, Nokia and Matsushita offer to replace any BL-5C battery subject to this product advisory.

Info about the models that have this kind of battery and how it can be checked, is found here

13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

And the recall lists seem to keep growing. There was already one warning about toothpaste here and now we have another one.

Toothpaste warning

I think governments and companies really need to start thinking about where the need to start looking for home grown products rather than cheaper products made elsewhere.

14. Dynamo1

Beef Recall Forces Topps to Shut Down
    Oct 5, 6:12 PM (ET)
    By JEFFREY GOLD

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Topps Meat Co. on Friday said it was closing its business, six days after it was forced to issue the second-largest beef recall in U.S. history and 67 years after it first opened its doors.

The decision will cost 87 people their jobs, Topps said.

On Sept. 25 Topps began recalling frozen hamburger patties that may have been contaminated with the potentially fatal E. coli bacteria strain O157:H7. The recall eventually ballooned to 21.7 million pounds of ground beef.

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

15. Dynamo1

ConAgra Foods Advises Consumers Not To Eat Pot Pies
    Company Believes Issue Likely Undercooking Of Product

POSTED: 3:00 pm EDT October 10, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:50 pm EDT October 10, 2007

PITTSBURGH -- ConAgra Foods announced Wednesday that it was contacted by state health officials regarding Banquet Turkey and Chicken Pot Pies. In cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), ConAgra Foods is advising consumers to not eat these products while the USDA and ConAgra Foods look into these concerns. This advisory pertains to Banquet brand frozen chicken or turkey pot pie products or generic store brand not-ready-to-eat pot pie products bearing the number "P-9" printed on the side of the package. The company believes the issue is likely related to consumer undercooking of the product.

Consumers may return these products to ConAgra Foods for a refund by sending the side panel of the package that contains the code "P-9" to ConAgra Foods, Dept. BQPP, P.O. Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103-0768. If consumers prefer, they may return the product to the store from which it was purchased for a refund; consumers should discard the product prior to returning the entire package to their retail store.

Full story at WPXI News