Season 8 Spoiler Discussion #2 - Spoiler Scene: Do Not Cross

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

"Chemistry" is a relative word. I thought Mac and Stella had an amazing brother/sister type chemistry and not a romantic chemistry.

As for Christine, if the intention is for her to be a viable match for Mac it would make all the sense in the world for her to be in the finale. If it is the series finale it would drive home the point that Mac really is moving on from Claire and Christine is the woman with whom he is doing that. I am not going to assume Christine is going to be a bad match for Mac when we haven't even met her yet. They might have amazing romantic chemistry and be a good fit for each other.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I hope it. But we have a soap opera like Season 3 again.

3. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Agreed. Any onscreen chemistry is subjective to interpretation, even if two characters are going out together. For example, I never thought Mac and Peyton had chemistry, but I know more than one person who did. I know loads of people who ship Mac and Jo, but like with Mac and Stella, I don't see their friendship as more than that.

PHANTOMERIK, I'm also amazed that even though I understand you being still disappointed in a favorite character leaving and thus eliminating the possibility of a desired outcome, what astounds me the most is the disrespect you're showing to the actress you claim to think of so highly. You make it sound as if she was forced out of the show by the "evil" PV and GS-(who btw, has no say in such things). But it was Melina's choice to leave. Respect that decision, and respect her by not vilifying it.

La_Guera, even though we differ widely on our opinion about Mac and GS, I agree with you entirely about Jo's apparent reaction to Mac being shot. Not once has Jo ever been portrayed as someone who panicks because she's so distraught she needs calming down. In fact, she's the exact opposite. The only possible explanation I can think of, is that in however the scenario plays out where Mac gets shot, Jo somehow blames herself, and she doesn't so much panic hysterically much as through guilt. :confused: I don't know. I was not keen on that part of the spoiler either and made me go :shifty: And I also agree about the lack of reaction from the rest of the team when Flack was nearly killed. I mean, aren't at least he and Danny supposed to be friends?

4. PerfectAnomaly

Danny's non-reaction is what bugged me the most about Flack being injured. He and Danny were supposed to be close friends and Danny is a very emotional guy. Danny I could see completely freaking out about someone being seriously injured - especially Flack. And Mac too, really. In the early days they very much had a father/son dynamic as well as boss/subordinate one. I'd buy Danny losing it over Jo losing it. But that's without context, so maybe Jo has a good reason for freaking out.

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

What indicates the difference between friendship chemistry and romantic chemistry? I'm not judging or condeming anyone's views, just trying to understand how folks determine one way or the other. (and I always thought there was some of the romantic type myself, but I also know each person sees it different. I'm not as gung ho now that she's gone, I can say that. But I'm not hopping quickly onto the Mac/Jo bus either. And I'll have to stop there before I cross any lines; I don't wanna get in trouble.)

I agree about Charge Of This Post. Danny should have showed more emotion when it happened. He's fine these days showing emotion when his family was in danger, which is natural, but Flack's a close friend, and there should've been more distress about it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

That is an interesting difference to analyze, in part because it's so subjective and individual. It's also kind of challenging to quantify in words, so I'll try to state my perspective through examples.

I know she wasn't on the show for very long, but comparing Jane Parsons to Stella is the perfect example in my opinion. Jane clearly had a crush on Mac, and from the looks he gave her, he knew. From how they interacted, I'm convinced that had it all been outside of Mac's emotional parameters of season 1, it would have been the perfect romantic chemistry setup. You had the clear physical attraction towards Mac from Jane and the definite 'crush' aspect, and even back in season 1 you had Mac's kind of knowledge that a particular woman had a crush on him and his somewhat discomfort and embarrassment at the fact. To me that's the beginning of a far more successful romantic chemistry than a long-time friendship. And if you look at the series as a whole, it wasn't until the final ep of s1 that there was any sort of interaction between Mac and Stella that was beyond one of long-time colleagues and friends, and I defy any man to not have looked Stella up and down in appreciation in that end scene :lol: Yes, they cared for each other, but there weren't those same half-shy/flirtatious/'crush' aspect that to me is far more indicative of a romantic chemistry. And even in the whole series there just aren't those moments between M/S (maaaaaybe at the end of 'Greater Good' from S to M, but even that is all the way at the end of s5)But that's just my take on the whole thing. And it's also why I see Mac and Jo as a good friendship instead of a romantic thing.

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

OK, that's a good way to explain it :)

I think ships onscreen are risky anyway, since we all have different preferred pairings, and some of us don't ship at all.

8. Rena

Rena Rookie

mmh, somehow my postings get deleted as soon as I click the submit button...I apologize if I should double post.

What I wanted to say is that I want Stells back for the final episode even if it's just a flashback from the previous seasons. It wouldn't make any sense at all if the writers left her character completely out. Mac and Stella were very close friends for a long time of the show (and within the fictional universe of CSI:NY even prior to S1) and it would be a shame if they didn't show her in at least one short glimpse of memory...

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^I agree with all of this. I loved Jane and Mac's interactions. I don't think Mac and Stella were ever anything more than very close friends, and the same goes for Mac and Jo. I would love for Mac to find someone to fall in love with again, and like you, I think Jane could have been that person, had it been outside Mac's emotional parameters of s1 (which I think Jane recognised and why neither of them acted further on her crush), and if I had my way, it would be Jane making the friend request and becoming Mac's love interest this season. I personally don't like the idea of Smacked because I don't think Stella's emotionally steady enough to be a real *partner* (in the romantic/lovers sense of the word) to Mac. And, in my opinion, it's irrelevant now because she left the show.

10. TheChaoticBox

TheChaoticBox Rookie

Put aside the fact that I'm a Jo/Mac-shipper, a possible explanation for Jo having a break-down would be the fact she's head over heels in love with Mac and can't stand the thought of losing him. It could be a possible set up for a romantic relationship towards the end of the season/series.

But since that won't be happening, at all, I don't think it's such a good idea, character wise. The writers have put great effort in portraying Jo as a confident, independent and extremely professional woman. Her panicking doesn't fit at all. But we don't have context, so it could all play out very naturally. Furthermore, if the writers are really pursuing Mac's relationship with Christine, it should be her panicking over him being shot.

On another note, I think it'll be 'entertaining' to watch Sela Ward in this scene. But again, that's the huge fan of the incredible actress in me speaking.

11. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I agree about Jo being head over heels in love with Mac. But I hope the writers don't mess this up.

I also agree it should be Christine who should be panicking, not Jo.

12. bookworm

bookworm Victim

My husband and I love CSI NY, and I don't know if this is the time and place to put this. We would hate to see it end. What I don't understand is, why do the writer's have to go back in time for Mac to meet someone. What about a pretty Federal Prosecutor or someone who works at the United Nations, who has a military family background, a close family, loves to jog, loves music (blues that's close to jazz), loves baseball, football, basketball (she grew up with all brothers), someone who can give Mac a life outside of the lab. She doesn't need to be in every show, Mac doesn't need to be changed he just needs to be loved and to give love back. The characters in CSI NY are highly skilled people who have a job to do. They do it well. We'll watch the rest of the season with bated breath.....

13. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Bookworm, this is a very good sound and realistically.

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I think because maybe he knows her and when he and Claire got married, maybe he had feelings for Christine at the time. I think also if it's a new person, it will take him awhile to get to know them.

15. PerfectAnomaly

I don't want - and I don't think TPTB would go there - for it to be a situation where Mac had feelings for Christine when he was married to Claire. There's no need for it and it would just tarnish the image of Mac/Claire that TPTB has been reinforcing for the entirety of the show's run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.