The Prop 8 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kc_from_kc, Dec 18, 2008.

1. kc_from_kc

kc_from_kc Police Officer

Welcome everyone!

As you know the issue of Prop-8 is still going on, and there are a lot of people who would like to discuss it more in-depth.
    There is, as always, a catch; When discussing the issue there will be some for it and some against it, so we ask that you please be respectful of each others opinions even if they differ from your own. It is easy to get fired up and start an argument, however there is a difference between a good spirited debate, and one that ends in mean spirited attacks or insinuations which will not be tolerated.

Now a few things besides just the issue itself which we can discuss, are things like Celebs (such as Jorja Fox, Margaret Cho, etc) who may support, or may not support the issue but keep in mind unless a celeb has publicly come out and/or discussed their sexuality, then speculation on ones sexuality is forbidden.
    We can post links to videos, but please give a good description of the video, such as who is involved, etc. We can post Pic links, as well as links to sites and news stories to help those interest in reading more on the subject, but remember they have to be within board rules.

Let's hope we can all have a healthy, safe discussion about a topic that is near and dear to many hearts, and keep in mind that this thread is open to all members, regardless of sexual orientation. :)

2. erep

erep Witness

KC -- Thanks for starting this thread. I'll happily go on record that I support gay marriage. In fact, it's quite easy to make CONSERVATIVE arguments for it, so one does not have to assume that I'm far left wing simply because I support one's right to love and marry who they choose. (However, I am pretty far to the left :).)

I hope Ian Harvie posts the rest of the tapes soon of the Dec 10 event; I'm sure they'd by fun to watch.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

3. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Here's a short article I found. Jorja isn't explicitely mentioned, but there's a pic of her.

4. kc_from_kc

kc_from_kc Police Officer

I do hope more people post in here. It'll be interesting to see both sides of the debate. Hopefully in a respectful way, of course

5. Jorja_Rain

Jorja_Rain Lab Technician

I don't really see what's left to say that hasn't been said in the last few weeks. And truthfully, I believe Keith Olbermann said it best. That's all I gotta say about this.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Proposition 8 Sponsors Want 18,000 Gay Marriages Nullified
    The sponsors of Proposition 8 asked the California Supreme Court on Friday to nullify the marriages of the estimated 18,000 same-sex couples who exchanged vows before voters approved the ballot initiative that outlawed gay unions.

California Attorney General Asks State Supreme Court to Void Gay Marriage Ban
    California Attorney General Jerry Brown changed course on the state's new same-sex marriage ban Friday and urged the state Supreme Court to void Proposition 8. - In a dramatic reversal, Brown filed a legal brief saying the measure that amended the California Constitution to limit marriage to a man and a woman is itself unconstitutional because it deprives a minority group of a fundamental right.

For more on either story click the links provided.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008