Episode 10x14 - 'Last Straw' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 18, 2012.

?

Grade 'Last Straw'

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. A

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. B+

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. C+

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. C

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. D

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

Hello CRM,

When I heard Dr. Loman mention the term statuory rape, I was thinking that "Statuory Rape" meaning was a rape to a minor. I am no doctor or expert here, but that did throw me off as well. Maybe somebody will chime in and give us a clear meaning of statuory rape and rape itself means. I sort of got lost there myself.

I too did not realize a mit would calm a horse down. That's a new one on me, but I have not been around too many horses in my lifetime.

2. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Gave this episode a C because it was a great, big YAWN.

If they were going to go with the "mean girls ruin a life" storyline, they could've done it in a much more interesting way. It was pretty much a repeat of "Stoned Cold", just 10 years down the road, replace "high school" with "sorority," and put some horses in the background. GROUNDBREAKING.

I practically got a headache from all the eyerolling I did at Horatio in the last scene. But I suppose that was an improvement over being triggered like hell by the girl hanging herself (I would've appreciated a little more warning, CBS). At this point, Horatio is a farce. He used to be a sympathetic character, but at some point, over the second half of the series, he became an annoying caricature, and anything he attempts to be sincere at ends up looking phony.

And would somebody PLEASE take Sam and put her back on night shift or kill her off? She's annoying. And she's taking up space that could be better used by the already-established characters that people actually give two shits about. Attention, TPTB: NO1CURR ABOUT SAM!

3. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

GregNickRyanFan
    I wonder does it mean Horatio understands that all his vigilante stuff isn't right?

4. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I don't like the character of Sam either BUT I think last time TPTB tried a 'romance' with an unknown girl everyone complained 'who is she and the relationship progressed much too fast"??(meaning H & marisol's whirlwind courtship-does 1 cuban dinner count?)...I think this is all to set a stage so Ryan is like falling for her being around her and all so then when they find out she's married or engaged then it'll be a true emotional let down for him..maybe all this screentime of her is to show background and to set it up for Ryan to show his feelings hurt..

5. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

OK episode - didn't seem like a very original plot to me - like many have said, kinda like "Stoned Cold" but in college. :confused: And the fact that all this affected the girl that much that she would turn to suicide...her parents should've gotten her some help b/c it was way more than the sorority girls going on there. :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed the Ryan/Calleigh scene in the beginning with the horses. Ryan was very funny and cute in his concern for Cal too. Cal was awesome w/the horse, but she as a bit cold around Ryan for my taste. I much preferred the way she was in her scene with Nat - I miss the "way to cheerful" Cal of the past :( Maybe all these years have hardened her like they have H, but I do like it when her lighter personality comes out.

Ryan was hysterical in this ep., but I cannot stand Sam. She is sucking up way too much airtime. (more on that later...)

The plot was old, and the acting was...meh. Although at one point, during one of the sorority flashbacks, I was like, "Hey, I used to love that song!" ("Steal My Sunshine" :) ). :lol:

The death by tanning machine and near suicide were both very scary moments. I was kinda hoping H would NOT save the day, simply b/c I'm sick of him always coming to the rescue and would rather have seen him deal with her death and his inability to save her. I think that would've been more interesting, even though I"m not sure TPTB could pull it off. I'd rather H not be able to save her, but maybe have some of the team gather around him or give him a pep talk or something. Right now H has ZERO CHEMISTRY with his team and seems more concerned about strangers than people that he has known and worked closely with for A DECADE. :wtf:

OK - for the record (again), I did NOT like the Marisol thing b/c it did seem so contrived. They did try to introduce Marisol to eps here and there, but IMHO the reason it didn't work was b/c of the plot and her age, not b/c of her lack of screen time.

I wish TPTB would scrap all this romance stuff - then there'd be no need to introduce new characters as love interests or triangles - and they could just focus on the characters we actually LIKE and are INVESTED IN - THE TEAM!:rolleyes:

6. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

I gave the episode a C+ but not sure that is a good thing. :rolleyes:

Loved the Ryan time and how he said he was the Horse Whisperer. :guffaw:Ryan is so funny all the time.

Hate Sam hate Sam hate Sam. :eek: :rolleyes: :wtf: :shifty: Go away already.

As for the bashing and abuse of Elle, I hate bullying and that is what the sorority gals were doing and enjoying to too :brickwall: I just hate that! Classic textbook bullying. I did feel sorry for Elle though. Elle needed to tell those girls to go bleep themselves and get on with her life. Glad H told her to move on to another path in life. Her dad took her interests at heart but not in the best way. Perhaps he could have done something to stop the abuse instead. It's difficult to see your child go through such pain.

Bo Derek looked good but that's about it. She didn't contribute much to the plot line.

So 4 more new epis is that right!?!? I think I heard CBS say that.

7. DCHC4ever

DCHC4ever Prime Suspect

No actually there are 5 more episodes and what they said was after the break next week (for the Oscars) there would be 4 episodes in a row. Their schedule then shows there will be another break on April 1st, and the Season Finale will air on April 8th (Easter Sunday).

8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Has this show been on a long hiatus like NY is?

9. DCHC4ever

DCHC4ever Prime Suspect

Not long hiatus, but had an episode Dec. 11, then 1 on Jan 8, the next was Jan 29, followed by the most recent one on Feb. 19.

Basically, it was driving everyone crazy went it would or would not be on and I'm sure did nothing for the casual viewership.

Then they plan to show the finale early, on April 8. As of April 15 CBS will be putting another NEW crime drama NYC22 in CSI Miami's place at least as a new show trial, but who knows what will happen.

I'm not sure which of CSI Miami and CSI NY get the worse deal!

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Didn't I see the whole "girl dies in tanning bed" thing in one of the "Final Destination" movies? I believe it was the third one (last one I watched lol).

11. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Yea, lmao. That's exactly what I thought of.

The episode was okay. Like a lot of people are saying it was a lot like Stoned Cold... but in a college sorority. It even had the parent being the killer. And they kind of made it obvious it was the dad by having him show up halfway through the episode for no apparent reason. :lol:

I liked the Horatio rescue at the end though. I was glad he got to her in time and I thought the dramatic drop and catch thing he did was pretty awesome. It was total Miami, dramatic and cheesy, but awesome.

Ryan was super cute though, and yay, purple t-shirt. I loved that he actually got the horse to calm down the second time, and I also loved that they remembered Calleigh had been around horses and was good with them. I wish Sam would go away though.

If I didn't suspect (or do we know already I'm not sure) that she's going to go bad I might actually like her just because it gives Ryan more attention. But knowing that she's going to have something to do with the finale and everything just makes me want to yell at them not to trust her, and especially Ryan. :lol:

12. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

The show was cool, as always, but there was not as much police action as normal. I had to give it a B+, and that's the lowest rating I will ever give a Miami episode. Horatio is Tooo Coool! Peace!

13. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

Hi, jimihendrix, cool name and welcome aboard.

As for statutory rape, I got 'intercourse with a person below the statutory age of consent' from the Merriam-Webster.com site. But on Wikipedia, it can mean sex in which one person is below the age required to legally consent with the behavior (which can be the case of Vanessa Hudgens sexting by choice rather than being forced to), when both parties are underaged, or just plain control over a minor (Roman Polanski's case). They used the term statutory rape as sex with those past puberty, while those who haven't reached puberty is considered child molestation. Statutory rape can also refer to sexual assault, usually involving minors. Some jurisdictions presume that statutory rape can be whether the minor consented to the sex or not. As the term rape itself can mean total control over the person.

That's what I've gotten so far. And I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who's lost with the whole "statutory rape" line thrown in that scene, when talking about the 'old' sorority victim. But as greatfan said, it could mean the suspect's past record of a statutory rape charge with a minor that we must have misheard. Though, a lot of suspects interrogated on a lot of Miami episodes have had past criminal records, making the CSIs readily suspicious of that suspect committing another crime, even if it's murder.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  14. dmuellenberg

dmuellenberg Civilian

Just got around to watching the show. Death by tanning bed - seriously? Pretty far fetched. First, every tanning bed is on a timer and max time is around 15 minutes. Secondly, I've never seen a tanning bed that is air tight so she would not have suffocated. Yeah, they have fans in them to keep a person cool, but they don't need to have oxygen pumped into them like the show suggested. It's stuff like this that turns me off, and yeah, I know, it's only a show but it would be better if they were a little more realistic about things.

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

They addressed the air tight thing though, didn't they? I thought they said the killer put something on it to close it so she couldn't open it and so it was more air tight. As for the timer, I thought they said that someone messed with it, so that the timer didn't actually go off like it was supposed to?

But tv shows, books, movies, etc always use what is referred to as "dramatic license". That basically means that things are over-dramatized for the purpose of entertainment.