CSI: NY--'The Triangle'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Dec 11, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><b>Synopsis:</b><p>While a wildly frantic man paces the streets of Midtown in front of the Empire State Building, fretting about "the triangle," Danny calls Lindsay to tell her he's late for work. Suddenly, his cell phone dies. Nearby, a High Eye armored vehicle is stopped. The driver turns to see his partner the back of the vehicle, clearly in distress as sparks fly around him. When the CSIs arrive on the scene, the man, Carl Custer, is dead. His partner, Greg Hufheinz, claims he wanted to help but was forbidden by their company to leave the cabin of the vehicle for any reason. Stella and Mac start working the scene, but while processing, Stella is shocked to look up and find Mac gone. Sid and Hawkes go over Carl's body and determine that he was literally microwaved to death: his internal organs heated up and his pacemaker exploded inside his body. The CSIs learn he died at 4:56pm, the same time the surveillance cameras on the street went out. Lindsay, experiencing pregnancy cravings, goes out for a donut and Danny tracks her down, peppering her with questions that end with a big one: a marriage proposal. Lindsay tells him no. Mac, along with Danny and Hawkes, heads to the Empire State Building to test the levels of microwaves and determines they're within safe levels. Flack calls Mac to tell him that no money was missing from the truck.<p>Mac clears up the mystery of his disappearance from the night before, telling Stella that two FBI agents pulled him aside for questioning about the missing flash drive from the Ann Steele murder case, suspecting him of some involvement. Mac recalls the only person besides Hawkes and himself who handled the drive was property clerk Kevin Cross. Adam finds evidence that a designer lock-disabling device called Satan's Ring was used to disarm the lock. Flack only recalls one bank robber who used the designer lock: Bernie Benton. Flack questions Bernie at his bar, but the ex-con, who is dying of cancer, tells the detective he hasn't resorted to robbery since getting out of jail. Lindsay recovers epithelials from a small pineapple sticker found on Carl's body, but while processing she worries about how the chemicals might affect her baby and asks Stella for advice under the guise of asking for a friend. Danny has finally found the target of the heist: Anderson Savings & Loan. The bank was robbed at 5:01pm, minutes after Carl's death by a man claiming to be Carl. The surveillance footage from the Empire State Building proves useful: on the camera they see the robber climb into a van and lightly hit a pedestrian--the ranting man. Danny and Stella track the man, whose name is Yert, down and learn he reached into the van and pulled off a part of the robber's shirt.<p>Lindsay and Adam recover scent from the shirt and give it to the canine unit, leading them to the locker of Greg Hufheinz's, Carl's partner. Hufheinz tells Mac and Flack that his spare uniform was stolen from the dry cleaners two days ago, and insists he's innocent. The two believe him, and their focus shifts back to what exactly stopped the armored car. Hawkes has the answer: a high tech company in Manhattan called Sannin Research has an advanced prototype portable microwave gun that could have stopped the truck and caused the power interference. Lindsay has discovered the epithelials on the sticker, which she's identified as coming from a tanning parlor, are a familial match to Bernie Benton: they belong to his daughter. The CSIs surmise that Bernie's daughter must have fired the microwave gun while Bernie robbed the bank, but they can't get a name or photo of her. Flack and Stella go back to Bernie, but he won't give up his daughter. When Bernie throws a glass and tries to run, Flack arrests him and they get his cell phone, which shows several texts to a Jamie Sunderland. Hawkes cross checks the name and learns Jamie works in the marketing department at Sannin. Bernie is taken away, but Jamie escapes on a helicopter--with the money. Mac gets called to another crime scene: property clerk Kevin Cross has been found shot dead. The FBI agents watch Mac from their car. Back at the lab, Danny asks Lindsay why she won't marry him and she says it's not the right time. After the two declare their love for each other, they go to tell Mac about the child they're expecting together.<p><b>Analysis:</b><p>Though I found Yert, the paranoid, ranting man the episode opens on, to come across as crazy as he's meant to appear, apparently he's on to something: the New York City Bermuda Triangle apparently exists, at least according to the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/01/27/2008-01-27_empire_state_building_car_zap_mystery.html">New York Daily News</a>. Cars apparently mysteriously die in the shadow of the Empire State Building, their remote keys rendered useless. It's definitely a cool jumping off point for an episode, and something that draws on New York City lore and local knowledge. I'd never heard of the NYC Bermuda Triangle before tonight, but I suspect many Manhattanites are familiar with the phenomenon. Using it as the cover for a bank heist is a novel, clever idea. I also loved Adam's serious utterance of, "The Triangle strikes again." <font color=yellow>A.J. Buckley</font> always delivers Adam's lines with just the right mix of enthusiasm and seriousness.<p>Of course, the theories Yert Yawallac (whose unusual appellation is scribe <font color=yellow>Trey Callaway</font>'s name spelled backwards) spouts are apparently debunked when Mac, Danny and Hawkes go to the top of the Empire State Building and find only normal levels of microwaves at the top. Still, Mac does have some trouble hearing Flack on his cell phone, but then again, can anyone reasonably expect crystal clear reception at the top of the Empire State Building? It was fun to see the three men on top of the building, and I liked the way Hawkes reaches out to Mac for support while Danny frets about possible ill effects from the height.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/the_triangle.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Great review as always Kristine! ;)

I wonder if TPTB would ever consider following up this particular story line for a bit of continuity.

Hahaha, only in New York! :lol: It indeed felt Miamiesque.

For sure!! Lindsay was so damn awkward and as you put it clunky. It was so excruciatingly painful to watch her "baby" scenes in this episode. I think I was cringing through them. :lol:

My sentiments exactly!!

3. GSRgirl

GSRgirl Civilian

What is the deal here with the CONSTANT Lindsay bashing? If you want to talk about supremely BAD acting, why aren't you focusing on HORATIO CAINE? I will not watch CSI MIAMI for that reason. And gee...."Lindsay is always walking away from Danny...." HELLO!!!!! First off, she most likely didn't want to get involved with a collegue at work...and when she finally did give in, you have Danny cheating on her! DO YOU BLAME HER FOR CONTINUING TO WALK AWAY FROM DANNY AND NOT TRUST HIM??

Why don't we have someone else write the episode reviews who isn't biased for once? Crappy review Kristine.

4. audrina

audrina Police Officer

As always, great, insightful review.

This case had 3 intriguing parts: The case was interesting with equal parts intrigue and Flack snark, which is always good. The whole Mac/FBI story. The Danny/Lindsay stuff (not everyone likes them, but it does interest many). By mashing them all together, I don't think any got the true in-depth service they deserved.

There was, IMO, enough time on D/L, but it should have been put in 1 block. The conversations on the street and hall could have been combined together. Instead of Lindsay placing her arm on his shoulder (after his weird queries about diseases, extra fingers and third nipples and such) and walking away, she could have made her comments right then about walking and not being pushed down the aisle. I agree that constantly having L walk away is not flattering. She had a good point, and should have been allowed to make it properly without making it appear she is torturing the poor guy. I think both Carmine and Anna did as well as they could with that set up.

On the case, I wish we could have seen a touch more of the daughter, so I felt more connected. The dad actor did a great job, portraying both a canny criminal and caring father. I just didn't feel connected to bank robber Barbie w/ the pineapple tan decal taking off w/ Horatio sunglasses in the chopper.

And the FBI thing ... it was done well, and I can't wait to see more, but it should have been more a focus than it was. The DL stuff could have been moved to another eppy or something. But it was just too crowded.

My final DL beef: I would like to see more talk by Danny adn Lindsay with their coworkers. I felt that having Danny talk to Flack in that episode about the pregnancy would have been so much more effective - two guys commiserating over some brews, maybe. As for Lindsay, I would have loved to see her approach Stella and honestly tell her the problem, seeking her advice, and maybe allowing for some bonding. As you have stated, Lindsay needs to stand more on her own, and seeing more of a relationship with others besides Danny would help that. I wanted more than a visual through a glass wall.

Great job, again.

5. imaguestage

imaguestage Dead on Arrival

I was unaware that Horatio was in this episode of NY. :rolleyes:

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:confused: Then why did she? Why did she go out of her way to spend time with him in season two, move to kiss him in season three, tell him she was in love with him in season four? She said it was "stupid" of her to get involved with a coworker, not that she didn't want to. ;)

"Give in"? We must be watching a different show. Lindsay is hardly a 19th century damsel. She was the one who put the moves on Danny in "Snow Day," after all. ;)

Up for interpretation, though no one associated with the show seems to think he cheated on her.

When she's having a child with him? Yeah, I do. She should be mature enough to stay and talk without him having to chase her down every damn time for an explanation. It's gotten old by now, really old.

Agreed. I think it would have felt more natural if they'd actually had a conversation about it right after he proposed to her rather than having her walk off after just saying "no." She definitely had a good point, and her answer was the right one, but she should have realized that she owed Danny more than just a "no," especially if she purports to care for him as she claims she does.

I felt the same, especially after connecting with the father in his scenes with Flack.

I would have liked to see those moments, too. I think it showcases a fair amount of immaturity in both characters. Lindsay has never seemed close to anyone but Danny so I can kind of understand why she wouldn't feel comfortable confiding in any of her coworkers, but at the same time, she should be smart enough to realize that Stella wasn't going to swallow the whole "friend" story. Confiding in Stella might have actually allowed for a bit more of a connection between the two.

As for Danny, given that he runs to Flack every time he breaks a nail, it's a little out-of-character that he hasn't gone to him yet. I can see why he wouldn't go to the others since Lindsay is the one who is pregnant and should be involved in the decision to tell people, but Flack has always been Danny's friend first and foremost. And maybe he has told Flack off camera, but that's one conversation I would have liked to see.

Thank you. :)

7. GSRgirl

GSRgirl Civilian

Again....too much Lindsay bashing, biased and unbalanced reviews, and way too much adoration for Flack (talk about a BORING ONE DIMENSIONAL character). If you are going to write reviews for any of the CSIs, have a healthy critique for all of the characters, not just one. Danny's idiotic questions to Lindsay during the episode...stupid. Flack's interrogation at the bar...boring. Don't get me wrong, Lindsay is no where near perfect either, but she gets trashed in every single review that I've seen here for CSI New York.

Almost seems like you have personal issues with Anna Belknap. Pathetic.

8. Top41

You are of course entitled to your opinions...just as I (and others) am entitled to hold differing ones. ;)

Just the ones you've responded to in all four of your posts at this site. ;) Sometimes I don't even mention her at all, or praise her. But when she's bad, yes, I point it out.

Just her acting. ;) Though I notice you glossed over the part where I praised her in the proposal scene--selective reading, perhaps? ;)

9. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Great review Kristine!

Adam is adorable! :D

:lol: Weird autopsy EVER IMO.

that kinda confused me. I mean is Anna's acting that poor. Come on she should have reacted in some way.
    I totally agree

Gary is such an awesome actor, he can convoy some much emotion without saying or doing much.
    Again awesome review

10. jolein

jolein Pathologist

Good review,kristine

I have seen worse reviews and while I don`t always agree with all points(it would become very boring ;)) I like reading the reviews to see what someone else thinks and maybe I read something I missed or see a different interpretation.

As I said in the ratings thread,I liked the episode.
    The last scene with Mac,and D/L telling him about the baby,felt off for me and after watching it a second time,I still can`t put my finger to it for the why.
    Maybe I was more hoping for a talk or something,I don`t know

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Great review, as usual. :)

It's because AJ is just awesome like that. :p I do love me some Adam, so I'm glad we've at least gotten a bit of him in every episode this season (as one would expect since he was added to the credits) - I hope we get more of him interacting with the guys soon, though. His dynamic with Danny and Mac is great, and I'd like to see more of him with Flack and Sid too. It would also be nice to see him interact with Hawkes more as a person than just as a fellow scientist - he has had some dorky moments with Danny and Mac, but it seems like Adam and Sheldon just talk in terms of the job.

Ha! I didn't realize that. :lol:

Wouldn't it have been a bit dangerous to just climb up there without knowing if the levels of microwaves might have been abnormally high? If it can supposedly cause problems way down on the ground...I mean c'mon, they were rightthere. "Crap, there are high levels of microwaves...do you guys smell bacon?"

He should get the Verizon network. :p Dead zone at the top of the Empire State Building? Psh, piece of cake!

Yeah, that was definitely a fun scene for interaction between the three of them. Why do I get the feeling Hawkes would be up for skydiving or bungee jumping but Danny would whine and find a way to get out of it? :p

Those two are always great - I'm glad we've seen more of them this season, but I'm afraid Sid is bringing out the Creepy Place in Sheldon. Sneaking popcorn in the lab? Why Sheldon, aren't you the one who raised your eyebrow at Sid a few seasons ago? Tsk tsk, you're as bad as he is! :p

Being a former-coroner definitely gives Sheldon a certain niche as a CSI - I wish they'd find a way to give other characters (like Lindsay for example) a certain niche or specialty. They said when she first joined that she was a blood spatter expert or something, but we've never seen evidence of that - as often as they deal with such things, it would be a chance for the character with a particular specialty to have some focus during those episodes. Instead, the ones stuck in the lab are usually just doing interchangeable scenes.

But I'm rambling...

Yeah, that was a good scene - I always like to see Flack in situations where it's not the typical homicide-detective-on-the-job routine.

I feel like it's all been so rushed. Danny proposing this week? C'mon. 'Do you have crazies in your family? Wanna get married? BTW I love you' - it's a bit backwards.

And really, what's he going to do with the information about diseases and such besides fret? It doesn't really matter what's in her family history, Danno - the kid's coming whether it's got a hereditary disease or three eyes or whatever. IMO that's the kind of stuff you discuss when you're planning to have a kid. Even if you want to talk about that stuff, you should probably do it after you reassure Lindsay that you care about her - otherwise it sounds like you're just worried about the kid and she's little more than the incubator. I'm sure that's not what the writers were going for.

Not only that, but it was like: Lindsay looks at the label - Lindsay looks at a cabinet full of chemicals with dangerous labels - Lindsay hesitates - Lindsay does a test under a fume hood - Lindsay stops Stella to ask her. That was a lot of steps to get the point across. Ideally, having her look at the toxic label, get a concerned look on her face and stop Stella before doing the test would have gotten the same point across - and in less time. When they've got 40 minutes to do everything, you'd think economy of storytelling would be utilized in such situations. The audience should understand her worry without having to see 10 bottles with big DANGER signs on them.

It's embarrassing that they had Lindsay use that tactic. Even if she's nervous, it makes her look immature.

Also, I wish they'd had Stella show her understanding from the minute Lindsay basically said, 'So, I have this friend' - does anybody actually use that kind of story for real? I'm sure Stella was thinking, 'Hmm, really?' from the beginning, but I guess the talk about the father sealed it.

Better but still not great IMO. A sense of warmth, maybe, affection for each other - but I don't really get a real sense of intimacy in their scenes. If I'm supposed to buy that they're in love with each other and not just dealing with an unexpected pregnancy that resulted from a quick roll in the hay, it would be good to see more of an indication that this is happening between two people with a real intimacy between them. It feels like the kid is what's bringing them together - not them being together. If that's what the writers are going for, that's one thing, but the profession of love and proposal and such seem to indicate otherwise.

I think Carmine portrayed Danny's worry as a father very well, but I don't get much sense of scared-mother-to-be from Lindsay. Aside from her worrying about the chemicals, in this episode she seemed to very much be the voice of calm to Danny, who isn't even carrying the kid. I dunno, I'm just not sure I see Lindsay as the type of character to find out she's pregnant and settle into a sense of calm so quickly.

Hell, I'm not sure what type of character I see Lindsay as. They've never done much to establish her.

My feelings exactly. Just because she's pregnant now doesn't mean it all has to come out now. They weren't planning for the child, it was unexpected - the rest of their lives don't have to be put into a certain order before the kid comes along. It would have been more interesting if they'd built on it all from what has actually happened rather than trying to say 'well, this is what it was like, so here's where we are' - that's not what was shown, so why not work with what was shown?

I'm interested to see where things go with the FBI, but it's typical that they'd be after Mac. Everybody is after Mac! Let's hope poor Hawkes isn't pulled into it, although I doubt he'd be lucky enough to get that kind of focus. :p

I agree totally. Why not have Lindsay respond to his proposal with more than just 'no' - like her reasons for saying no.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  12. Lindsayrocks

Lindsayrocks Victim

Yea i agree with gsrgirl this site is all bout bashing lindsay/anna. She does every wrong. no she doesn't. And i do think we need a another reviewer she always bashes Lindsay and Anna always, but Carmine and Danny never its like she is love with him. we need a reviewer of not biased to characters. horrible review kristine.

13. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I thought it was a excellent review.

The end of the episode felt a little rushed to me, like they had tried to cram too much into the episode and not left enough time for the crime solving.

Whist I don't alway agree with everything Kristine writes she always backs up her opinions of the characters/actors with reasons and examples so I can understand her standpoint. There would be no discussion if everyone had the same opinion.

14. Top41

Danny was very clearly nervous. I think if Hawkes proposed skydiving or bungee jumping, Danny's back would suddenly start acting up or something. :lol:

Well, Danny is definitely one to fret. :lol: I thought his questions were kind of cute while at the same time being wildly inappropriate. What guy asks a girl about mental health problems in her family...and then proposes? It sounded scattered, but then I think it illustrated pretty well that Danny isn't quite sure what to do, so he's doing and saying the things he thinks he should.

I think the overkill wouldn't have been necessary if Anna could effective convey what we are left to assume is going on in Lindsay's head. But she didn't, hence the looming overly obvious hazard labels on the bottles.

It feels that way to me, too. There's little intimacy or affection between them--they just come off as kind of awkward with each other. As I said before, it would have been more natural to build to declarations of love (at least from him, since she's already said it twice) rather than to rush it. A gradual build is much more effective than laying it all out on the table an episode after the baby news dropped.

It's Danny--he might as well be carrying the kid. :lol: It would have been more natural to see worry from both of them, but I imagine that's what the scene with the toxic labels/Stella was trying to do.

Bingo!

It would have made her seem much more sympathetic and believable had she done that.

In response to your barely intelligible post, again, I've praised Anna before when she merits it (even in the above in this review) and even occasionally criticized the other actors (my praise is hardly limited to Carmine--everyone else in this show save for Anna is consistently excellent) when they've felt off. I've certainly criticized the characters of both Mac and Danny. Regardless, my job is to call 'em like I see 'em. ;)

15. Lindsayrocks

Lindsayrocks Victim

sorry that i have a learning disability and sometimes i have trouble writing sometimes doesn't make sense