Can I say "download" or link to songs here?" (Updated 8/5/08)

Discussion in 'CSI Music' started by katpin31791, Aug 6, 2008.

1. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Q: I know the topic of downloading is taboo in the other forums, but don’t really see any issue here. Can I say "download" or link to downloadable songs here without being warned?

A: While music thrives in promotion and fans letting others know about artists and bands, many others have abused this privilege by trading and downloading files they have not paid for. This is technically illegal by all means and purposes, and catches the attention of music labels and their representatives, the RIAA. There are many examples of the RIAA taking legal action against sites, communities, and individuals in this area.

Because this forum exists to promote and identify music used in the CSI shows and other forms of merchandise, there are two specific rules:

You MAY use the word "download" or link to songs if you provide:
    • A link or reference to a pubically accessible track/album on legal online music stores
    • A link or reference to an official artist or band site which provides the music internally
    • A link or reference to an Amazon.com or other online retailer product page

Examples* of an official source are:
      An online retailer or music subscription site ([Amazon.com], Napster, Rhapsody, iTunes), an official artist/band site (darrenhayes.com), a music label site ([sonymusic.com]), a promotional/sweepstakes site ([purevolume.com), a movie site ([starwars.com]), or any other medium where the music labels have worked out a licensing agreement or artists themselves have uploaded their music for promotional purposes.
    You MAY NOT use the word "download" or link to songs if you:

Encourage, discuss about, or link others to download or listen to a track/album they have not paid for from an unofficial source.
    • Examples* of an unofficial source are:
      Fan websites, underground FTP servers, underground music discussion communities that support file attachments, P2P file trading networks, YouSendIt links, "e-mail/IM me and I’ll send you the song" or "please e-mail me the link to download it" references, or any other type of independent file trading.
    "But can I post a snippet I heard during the show (recorded from the show) so others can help me identify it?"
    In this case, if it was recorded from the TV, including sound effects and dialogue, etc., it may be posted (via YouSendIt or other means) so others can use it as a reference for identification.

This is the only exception to posting links to download songs from an unofficial source.

*These are examples only and are not limited to the items, phrases, and terms listed here. These rules apply to this forum only. CSI Files reserves the right to alter these rules at any time without notification.

Updated-08/05/08

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Great post. :) But some of your coding is not working. :(

3. katpin31791

WEll.................thought I checked it out before I posted. Will go back & see what I can do. Thanks.

4. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Seems to be fixed. :) Good job.

5. katpin31791

Thanks. I know I have loads to learn. lol

6. uxshaspa

uxshaspa Civilian

I accept with information:Fan websites, underground FTP servers, underground music discussion communities that support file attachments, P2P file trading networks, YouSendIt links, "e-mail/IM me and I’ll send you the song" or "please e-mail me the link to download it" references, or any other type of independent file trading.

7. hammer

hammer Dead on Arrival

This is very good post. Thanks for this.

8. alengrew

alengrew Civilian

good suggestion but still your link is not working. then what i do? check it now.

9. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

thanks for this! much appreciated!