CSI SpinOffs in Limbo

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by jimihendrix, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Alessia, this article doesn't seem to add any new information to the discussion. Did I miss something? The more I think about not giving the early renewal to Miami, the less optimistic I am. I think economics is the deciding factor here. David is one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood and the show is very expensive to produce. I am not sure even the actors would want to come back for a remaining season if it is a short order. They need to be thinking about their careers and not hanging on to a dead series.

Also, the producers have had a couple of seasons now to give the show a freshness and have not been able to. Unfortunately, David has made a controversial character in Horatio (i.e., people either love or hate him) and the producers made a decision awhile back that the show wouldn't go on without him. Unlike CSI who has managed to keep the show fresh with new leads.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

IMO CSI NY won't be back next year. If nothing else,this season has less episodes than S4 which was cut short by the writer's strike.
    I think CSI Miami will be safe for one more year. After that,who knows?

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Well, I happen to like Blue Bloods, A Gifted Man, NCIS: Los Angeles & The Good Wife (as well as Grimm on NBC!), so let's try to keep this topic bash-free, please?

I just find it very hard to believe that they've got us on pins and needles about New York & Miami, while everything else got renewed with no drama. [​IMG]

4. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

If we're on pins and needles, can you imagine how the casts and crews are feeling?

5. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

"That the Miami and New York editions of "CSI" are on the bubble is not entirely surprising as both are showing their age this season. The older of the two, "CSI: Miami," is down 14% season to date in the demo vs. its performance in the same Sunday 10 p.m. timeslot last year. "CSI: NY" is down only 5% from last year, a solid performer for the Eye's Friday lineup."

This quote from the article Eva posted helps my favorite of the two. I hope this means that NY will be back based on the fact it was down less and does well on Fridays.

6. Alessia

Alessia Dead on Arrival

she wrote that it's all they know... Even they haven't additional information for the moment...

7. alicelc

alicelc Victim

Keeping my fingers crossed. Please CBS, please :(

8. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

To All:

I read the article Eva LaRue sent out, and my guess is, don't be surprised if CSI Miami or CSI NY doesn't come back.

What I don't understand is this, why is CBS showing reruns on Saturday Nights of week night shows? Heck Saturday Nights still are better nights than Sunday Nights. How in the heck can SNL stay on the air at NBC all these years and do well?

My friends, this is political, not the shows themselves. Miami being down 14%, beating "The Good Wife" and "The Good Wife" gets renewed? Something is wrong with this picture and CBS is lying. They have been wanting (in my opinion) to get rid of the two CSI Spin Offs since last season.

It's money and politics in the TV Business, not ratings. A show can have all the best ratings in the world, but if the advertisers won't buy it, they kill the show. That's the corporate world for ya!:(

Free enterprise in the United States has now more freedom to "kick around" people and jobs, thanks to Congress and their dirty acts of deregulation!

Peace

9. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Associated Press had this spin on the renewals:

As the CBS President said last week, one CSI is definitely cancelled and that is likely New York. I believe they are holding back on Miami to see how this new cop show does in their timeslot. And they also want to review the quality of the other pilots. So I guess the next move if you are a fan of Miami is to not watch the new show taking its place in a couple of weeks.

10. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

Hello Theresa,

I don't think not watching NYC 22 is going to help. As I stated before, this is a revenue, not ratings. It really does not matter if the show does good or not as far as viewers, it's the advertisers and the money coming in that time slot. That is what CBS is looking at.

Peace

11. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

And you just made my point; i.e., ratings = revenue. If we don't watch, then the ratings will be bad and they will keep Miami in its timeslot.

12. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Well, I don't know about Miami staying in its timeslot. I think it really depends on which show is more expensive to produce, Miami or NY.

13. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

From @GarySiniseClub on Twitter:

I'm not sure how much I trust that Twitter account though, it's not verified and I haven't seen a legit article/source post about it. :confused: But if CBS really did give the producers and crew the heads up today, on Gary Sinise's birthday, then I am disgusted. How rude of them...

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I saw this on GS' FB account but not on the one where he is playing his guitar or on his twitter feed.

Wait til GS posts it on his verified twitter feed and right now he hasn't posted it.

15. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

Hello Folks,

I watch the news, national news, and in 2011, CBS (a publicly own company) works like any other coproation that reports to Wall Street.

With that said, CBS has to bring in a certain amount of revenue to keep the operation up. The Board of CBS & the Sales Division look to see where they can "cut" and maintain revenue flowing to keep the whole CBS Operation running.

This is why they are looking at older shows like NY & Miami. Their plan goes even deeper, as during the summer, there could be a revised line up, that could dump NCIS, Los Angeles. These cut backs have nothing to do so much with ratings "so much". It's that the U.S. and Wall Street just almost crashed in 2011, something that Congress didn't expect to happen, then Congress argued on how to fix the problem, and it's put CBS as a in a bad position.

From what Gary Sinese has said, CSI NY is gone after the end of this season. CSI Miami is up in the air because they need a good "strong" program on Sunday Nights to draw revenue, besides "The Good Wife", which in reality, is not a strong program (in my opinion).

The United States has had many people loose thier jobs in 2010-2011. The economic problems are hitting CBS. I understand fully what is going on, and yes my posting may be getting of topic to some of you that are posting on here from other countries, or just plain don't keep up with what has happen to the U.S. Economy over the past two to three years.

In conclusion, Don't blame President Obama, Past President Bush, nor Past President Clinton either. I can see why the cast & crew of all the Network TV shows are on pins and needles on all 4 major TV Networks. They are feeling the effect of the U.S. Economy in a mess! I am a small business man, and I've been are on pins and needles too! It's stresful to have to make cuts!

Gary Sinise should have ran for President in this year's election!

Peace and pray for the United States!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.