CSI: New York is cancelled.

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Nightfoxxy, May 10, 2013.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Gary on the CPD show would be awesome, since he's from here...don't know if it'd happen though. Of course, it would be hard not to see him as Mac.

I'm taking it hard because it's one of only a handful of shows I've followed this long...Bones and original CSI come close, but I quit Bones a couple seasons back when I started not liking the storylines (but I still read the spoilers and see where it's going), and I got mad at the original when they screwed over my ship and made a major characterization screw up earlier this season...I'll gladly watch again if they fix it, but I'm waiting to see. Most other shows I get to liking either don't make a full season or make only one season, then don't come back. (or in the case of Angel, die the season after I find it). I will still have Falling Skies for a few weeks in the summer, but not much in the fall, unless the CSI writers get in gear and correct stuff. You always know with TV that it won't go on forever and that all shows end eventually, but when the time comes, it's still sad.

On the positive, we did get 9 good years, which is a lot since most shows are lucky to get a season or two. And part of me did fear that if it came back, they'd go places we wouldn't like...we all know they can't seem to let a lead character have a normal, undramatic marriage...we saw what happened with Horatio and the original Vegas leads...DB's family doesn't have all the issues of GSR, but they still can't go a season without injecting drama of some form or another into the family. Or worse, I kept envisioning another try at the love triangle storyline with Peyton, which would really have not gone over well, I can imagine. It's a crime show, not a soap opera LOL.

At least we got a good finale, and aren't left yelling and wanting to slap the writers like what apparently happened to Miami. The NY writers knew there were no guarantees, whereas the Miami crew was caught off guard.

I often wonder how much is left in the mothership...I kinda hope CBS closes it out soon too, because its quality is dropping and it is sooooo not the same as it was in the beginning. I'd hate to see it turn into a pile of crap before it ends because CBS wants to milk it dry.

I think what makes me the saddest is that aside from a few cult hit shows, most shows start to fade from memory as the years go by, and it gets hard even to find anyone who still likes to talk about them. I don't see this board going anywhere anytime soon, but I really hope we can keep the memory alive.

There's an internet image that is probably all of us right now lol

[​IMG]

And MFlack, I wish it could be that way...not sure the cast would be in on it though. I also wish it was popular enough for another network to grab it...Facebook already has "let's see if someone else will take it", but if they didn't take Miami, why would they go for NY? Not happening.

Also, about the 'process', I agree...although I wonder if the time slot didn't hurt it like it has so many other shows. The Wed slot wasn't the greatest while Lost was on, but it was better than Friday, when many people aren't at home. I definitely noticed the number of eps went down each season after the switch. As for Angell, it's a mystery to me why they'd kill her and then bring in Lovato. If they couldn't afford Angell, why could they afford Lovato? The lower production cost of the shorter seasons?

I also wonder how much we could have got if CBS hadn't been so annoyingly awful to the show in terms of advertising, along with the slot. That stuff had to be part of the reason why it never hit the ratings levels the other two did. Spinoff fatigue had to have figured in too...people don't always like a concept on the third version as much as the first. (Law and Order, anyone?)

Also, Melina leaving, though it was her choice, probably did drive away a few fans, though it got 3 seasons without her.

btw, anyone else still think they need to change how they determine the ratings? They need to quit taking only the one demographic into account in their decisions and look at the overall viewership. I know it's the 18-40 group or whatever it is that has the most buying power and I see why the networks want to attract them, but the other viewers shouldn't be ignored either.

btw, that weekend thing is another CBS thing I hate. Why can they give Miami weekends but not us? Or the original for that matter. They were doing CSI NY weekends. What changed?

2. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Hey Elsie, welcome back! I have see you for a very long time.

3. MFlack2012

MFlack2012 Victim

Well in my Honest Opinion, Miami was Crap and Dead long before it finished. CSI:NY has great storylines and is still as good as the beginning. It lost it's way for a little bit, but it found itself pretty quickly and moved on from that. I never copped on to the original CSI- I did watch it for a few seasons and I did watch Miami from beginning to end, but Miami was the joke CSI, whereas CSI:NY was a more procedural and interesting show. I didn't mind the introduction to some relationships for the characters but didn't want it being all about that either. And thankfully it never was, lets just omit the whole Messer family saga.

As for Angell, it killed me to see the character go. But I actually loved the introduction of Lovato and was looking forward to having more time to see the character progress. I liked that Flack finally found his way and was able to move on this season. Loved Angell but also loved Lovato.

I think they need to wake up and do look at other demographics but more than that they need to see the overall value of the shows. I think CSI:NY was always consistent and strong with ratings and I don't think that should have been overlooked. It had a very positive and loyal fanbase and consistently good ratings throughout nine years. That should have been taken into account and not leaving it to the final ratings of a few episodes or the final episode. It's like the Big exam that you completely freeze on THAT Day and all your hard-earned work throughout the year goes out the window.

4. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Never watched NY but it's sad to hear nonetheless. Especially since the worst that could be said about the cases and stories, is that they were stagnant. 9 seasons is a great run, but then you have CSI: LV getting renewed, where the cases are awful and the character storylines are comical, not to mention the cast has been turned over innumerable times.

It's sad that NY couldn't get up to the same ratings as LV (as it very much deserved). However, as an LV fan, NY fans should feel grateful that they never have to watch the show they once loved sink so far below a dignified level.

Quit well you're ahead, right?

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Hit and Run

When Miami and NY were first announced, I was dead set against them as I thought they would dilute the original. As it it happened we got a good 9 years from NY, which at one point was my favourite CSI show and i think has been solid for the majority, whilst Miami slowly lost its appeal long before it was cancelled.

So it's disappointing news, but here in the UK we still have the final season to watch yet.

6. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

I am still heartbroken I just want to cry. I have pretty much stopped watching the other shows for one I work very long days and just don't have the time. However I was always home in time to enjoy the only two shows I am a fan of CSI: NY and Blue Bloods. My TV will not be tuned into CBS with the exception of BB.

I give NBC credit they will squeeze their flagship shows until their is nothing left out of them. The only good news is Golden Boy got canned. You watch their fall line up will consist of 90% comedy. And most of that is stupid.

And yes MacsgirlMel that pic is definantly me. LOL

I want to sit and watch my dvds but I know I'll just start crying. Is that just sad..

7. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

I'm sad to hear these news. I knew it was very likely but thought maybe there was some hope.

I'll ashamedly admit that I've never really watched it as it was broadcasted, just never got into it until an episode got my attention and so I thought I'd start at the beginning-season 1 DVDs...then season 2..And I was hooked. And I'm still catching up (season 8) and I guess I've been spoiled to watch it this way but I regret not realising earlier just how great it was. What amazed me is how strong the episodes were in later years(well, can't comment past mid season 8), at the time when Vegas was(and carries on) withering.

And so while I'm sad it's the end I have to say i agree with what's been mentioned above regarding "ending on a high note". I genuinely wish CSI LV could've had the same fate and it's my absolute favourite show of all time(seasons 1-9 of it). But nowadays it's like a barely-functioning shadow of its former self.

8. MacsGirlMel

I only wish I'd kept watching after Blink instead of taking until season 2 to start watching regularly.

9. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I am very sad yet not surprised that this show has been cancelled. Yet at the same time, considering that it could've been gone a long time ago, it had an amazing run and one that most other shows of every genre would envy to have.

And there was perhaps some factor of MK leavning that might have but it went on for three seasons thanks to Sela Ward bringing her own fanbase in. I never really could regain my interest but I found it very upsetting, even as a heartbroken MK/Stella fan to see many fans make unkind posts on Jo/SW.

All of the cast deserve our thanks for their contributions to this great show and for all it's San Andreas-scale faults, I have to say that CSI:NY has secured it's place in my heart. Even Mac/Stella, even though it might have not born out in the end, has secured it's spot in my heart.

That and the way "Today Is Life" concluded, it had all the traits of a decent send-off and despite the sadness I feel over the shows end, I'm glad it went on a decent note rather than degenerate into complete stupidity and banality like CSI:Miami did, nor become a tired shadow of it's former self like the Vegas CSI is rapidly becoming.

Farewell CSI:NY. You might have changed in ways it was hard to recognize towards the end but you departed on a high note.

10. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

I so had to ask Gary if there is ever a chance for a CSI: NY movie either made for tv or dvd. I would be so thrilled if they could do that. And I think that it would ease all our pains. Hope he answers. heehee...

11. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

There is going to be a season 9 DVD out.

That would be nice if he would answer it. He's been pretty quiet lately.

12. MacsGirlMel

He did make a Facebook post after the announcement. I'd love a movie, but not sure if it'll happen.

And I hate it that the first thing on my Comcast page when I open the internet is about which shows got the ax and Gary/Mac is one of the pictures there. Grrrrrr

It is interesting to me how a show manages to make such an impact, this one in our case though it's different shows to other people. When the material and the actors are good, it's interesting how it tugs on our emotions and lets us forget for a little while that it's all staged and scripted and not real. And a regular show definitely becomes a sort of weekly comfort or escape...we all have in the back of our minds that it won't go on forever, but we come to look forward to our weekly fix and end up feeling sad when it isn't there anymore. DVDs do help, though it isn't totally the same. And I've a feeling that even though we'll all find new shows to obsess over and get a weekly fix of, nothing can ever really replace a really good one, we just come to like them for what they are while still watching our DVDs and obsessing over our memories of the previous one.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  13. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

Gary has made his bucks off of CSI NY, so I don't want to see him in another series at this time. I want him to go back to making feature films so he can have a shot an an Oscar one day.

14. MacsGirlMel

I want him on TV, I need my fix. Although I might cry and think of NY if he gets a new show.

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

That's another thing too, even though CBS didn't mind him doing this band, I would be surprise if other networks had a problem with it. If he does a movie, he might not be able to do somethings like he has in the past.