Whose memoir would you read?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Just for a bit of fun... :D

First, the difference between an autobiography and a memoir.

So here's the question:

If each member of the team got a book deal and wrote a memoir relating to his/her life, which book would you buy first? And which part of his/her life would you like the memoir to concentrate on?

(Alternately, would you rather read a memoir or an autobiography for your chosen character?)

By the way, the poll allows you to vote for multiple people - in case you would read more than one person's memoir. ;) (I don't know about y'all, but I'm bad at picking just one for things like this. :p)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Danny Messer and Don Flack. (Duh, right? :p ) Danny because he's led what seems to be a difficult and complicated life and Flack because I think there's a lot going on behind those blue eyes--not to mention, he's incredibly witty. I think Flack could write an interesting memoir about growing up in a family of cops and carrying on that lineage, while I think Danny's autobiography would be filled with stories about him messing up...over and over (poor Danno). I think they'd both be interesting reads! And personally, I'd love to know what Flack is thinking when he stares at Danny like that. ;) :devil:

3. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

First than all i would buy Stella's book. We don't know much about her life. We don't know her feelings towards her parents of if she knew who they were ( i do believe she knew ).
    The memoir would be her teen years. I bet she was wilder than now. I would like to know how she felt about being an orphan and what she wanted to be in life. If she had resentment against her foster sister for leaving her or simply if she was happy or if she had a best friend. Besides i would love a special chapter dedicated to her childhood because i would love to know if she was in many foster homes or she was just in only one

Also i would like to buy Mac's book. The memoir would be his childhood years. I'd love to know if his mum was alive and if his dad was caring and tender towards him because it's hard for him to show his feelings (well Mac changed a lot in S5). Also if his dad's discipline was the "k" factor who who forced him to hide his feelings or if it was is own training as military which affected him
    Another memoir would be his adult age. I would love to know how he finally proposed to Claire and how he met Stella for the first time ;)

Finally i would love to buy Adam's book because i want to know how he survived his violent father and if his mother protected him or she was missing leaving little Adam defendless

(Great Thread. One of my fav movies is Memoirs of a Geisha and i love the book too!)

4. Faylinn

Ugh, the poll takes you to another thread after you vote - I hate when it does that. :lol:

For the poll, I picked Flack, Danny, Hawkes, Sid and Adam.

The one I'd read first is Adam's - I'd like to learn a bit more about his experiences growing up with an abusive father.

I think it would be interesting to read about Hawkes' life - any part of it, really, since we know so little. Sid would definitely be a...unique person to read about. :p As for Danny and Flack, I'd like to read and compare their childhoods to see how things were different - and how they might have been the same in surprising ways.

5. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...erm :wtf: :lol: Fay, yer poll took me thru a wormhole or sumthing... :lol:

So many threads popping up here. :p

Well, my first choice would be an autobiography by Sid, easy peasy, hands down. :lol: The man sounds like he's had the most interesting life down paths uniquely travelled, sounds like he's got an interesting family heritage, has been married a few times over and now has remarried and has kids grown and flown the coup. Plus he's picked up all manner of stories and nuggets of arcane and fun knowledge along the way. I think his life's story, told in his own voice, would be a good read.

As for the rest, this is not in any order of preference or interest but how the characters were listed in the poll.

I wouldn't mind a biography about Mac, troubles as a kid in Chicago, his time in the service, how his injuries ended his military career, how he became a cop, his life with Claire, the death of his father, the impact of 9/11 on his personal and professional lives. I said biography as I'd rather a more objective voice to tell that story than his voice, for some reason, but I may hafta reconsider that. I'd read one about or by Stella, her days in the foster system and how that put her on the path to being a cop and how being a CSI impacts her life and why she's so driven, how her experiences with Frankie and the AIDS scare have changed her, and what it would be like for her to discover more of her birth family after the life she's had, and a lifetime of not knowing them at all.

I'd say Danny, if only because a biography might clear up a few things about him. A memoir might be interesting of his youth and days as a ballplayer and the choices he had to make after getting injured. I'd like to say that, but I think it'd be more interesting to see it as an episode of Biography on A&E or something. I just get the feeling I'd not manage to get thru a whole book of him. I did not actually select him at all in the poll. Not averse, but someone would hafta lend me a copy. I wouldn't buy one.

Moving onto memoirs, I'd read one of Flack describing his family history of cops and what it was like to follow in those footsteps to ultimately gain his gold shield. And I tend to agree with Top about Flack. Lots going on there that would be interesting to glean some insight into. And his sense of humour would make it an enjoyable and likely quite a candid read.

For Sheldon and Adam I chose them but combined with 'Other' in a lateral deke.

For Hawkes, I'd rather read a book by him about anything at all, focused more outward than inward. As much as I'm absolutely wanting to know more about his character. I'm getting used to not knowing. So more a collection of essays or articles mebbe, his thoughts and observations and opinions on any number of topics. I think he's an incredibly intelligent character, a prodigy, well-educated but undeniably also worked his way up to being where he is. I think he'd have a unique take on things. If he was beamed down from a mothership, I demand a documentary, or feature film based on his life story be made :lol::p

For Adam, I'd rather hear him telling stories about his life in person than read about them in a book. I dunno if that makes sense. More generally, I'd also read a blog by him though. I'd read blogs by Hawkes and Adam both.

6. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

After I voted I somehow was sent to the Buffy thread and the poll was still on top, I was so confused as to what had happened.

Anyway, I think my first choice would be Danny, and Flack would be second.

7. Faylinn

Yeah, sometimes that happens when you add a poll to the thread - and I have no idea why. :lol:

8. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Oh, well the first one I'd buy would be either of my favourite characters, either Adam's or Sid's, hehe I can't decide, so I'd buy them together... :p

I think Adam's would be very funny, cause I mean we all know how quirky he can be, however, I think if he were to focus on one aspect of his life, it would probably be his childhood, I'd love to read about it, and learn more about his abusive father, and how he was able to come to terms with what happened to it, I think his would be inspiration, especially if it was being read by someone coming from a background like his, maybe someone like Jake (from The Party's Over). So yeah, I think Adam's would be pretty awesome.

Sid's again, I think it would be pretty quirky, I think he'd focus on his time as an NYPD coroner, I think he'd focus a lot on how much he loves his job, and would speak about some of the cases he's worked on, I also think he would give us an insight into his background a little more, maybe talking about his family. I think a lot of his book would be spent in 'his creepy place', which would be a lot of fun to read about. ;)

I'd also love to read Don's, Stella's or Mac's. I think Don's would focus a lot on his time working as a Homicide Detective, I think we'd hear about when he was caught up in the bomb, and what it was like for him on his road to recovery, and how he dealt with it all. I think we'd also hear about how much he loves his job, and how he'd do anything for the badge, I think it would be interesting to get his slant on what he does, and why he does it.

I think Stella's would also be really interesting, it would most likely be focused on her childhood, and speaking of what it was like for her growing up in care, and not knowing who her parents were. I think that she'd speak of how it was difficult, but how she was able to make it work for herself. I think we'd also get a bit about her time as a CSI/Detective, but the main focus would probably be on her childhood.

Mac's I think would probably focus on his time in the Marine's, maybe we'd find out how he met Claire, and what made him change from a Marine to a CSI. I think we'd also hear about how he dealt when Claire died, and when he met Reed. I think Mac's would probably be quite wide ranging, but it would give an interesting insight into the life of a man who is usually quite closed when it comes to his emotions...

9. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I would most like to read Mac's memoir, about growing up in Chicago, his time in the Marines, his time as a cop, how he met Claire, 9/11 and how he dealt with it, and how he chose his team. We know he chose Danny specifically, and I've always wondered why, he was so by the book back in s1, and Danny was...well, not. Mac was told not to hire Danny by some of his superiors, and he and Danny had a lot of conflict in s1....so why hire him?

Stella's memoir would be about growing up in an orphanage, and her time being a cop, why she moved to forensics, how she dealt with Frankie and the AIDS scare.

Don's would be a funny, snarky memoir about growing up in blue-collar New York City as the son of a cop, maybe some stories about his father, definitely what happened with Samantha when they were kids, his time as a cop - did he have to prove himself in his own right, get out from under his father's shadow? The bombing would be mentioned, and also his friendship with Danny.

Adam - I'd enjoy a memoir about his childhood, and about how he came to work for the NYPD.

Sid - his memoir would be so weird and full of creepy stuff, but I'd be interested to learn about his previous marriages and his family too, why he became an M.E.

10. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I got sucked into that same wormhole. It's a good thing I wasn't sent to the ABC web site or the NBC web site. That might have been scary! (just kidding, folks!)

I voted Mack, Adam, Flack, Stella, and Hawkes. I think I would read most of them, but those are the ones that are *must-haves* for me.

11. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I would definitely want to read Stella's memoir. I can imagine it would be rather sad, but very interesting and inspiring. :) Also, I'd love to read Flack's.

12. racefh853629

racefh853629 Pathologist

I would totally read Adam's and Sid's. I think Sid's would just be freaking hilarious, and I love Adam... I'd read their autobiography's, too. :D

BTW, as a random note, as soon as I submitted my vote into the poll, I was transported to the Buffy thread, with this poll on the top of it...

13. CCA

CCA Police Officer

Well I had to vote for my man Flack, only because I think he'd bring funny but a since of seriousness to keep you entertained enough as he told his first days of being a rookie to the very last days.

Adam would probably have you wet your pants lol...Hawks I love him but he'd put my a$$ to sleep, he'd get to wordy with his description and get lost in what he was saying and the definifition of the...Mac well he reminds me of Jill's Dad on Home Improvement where he did his memoir and nobody liked it because it was nothing but about war tatics...

thus Flack is my choice...

14. jwells2472

jwells2472 Witness

I think either Syd or Hawkes would have the most interesting memoirs

Syd~~Any of the bizarre events that he eludes to on occasion

Hawkes~~ His time as a ER doc

15. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

It happened to me, too. I think it was a transporter malfunction. I'm glad the Buffy characters' memoirs were not listed since I never watched the show. But I voted for Mac and Sid.